Dangerous sea life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve once bubbled...
I know you weren't - I've seen pictures on the LDC web page. I'd love to see a Lionfish - but no way I'd play fetch with it. My cat's won't play fetch so I don't see why Sea-Simba would.

Now how about the sharks? They do like snacking on surfers, are there any recorded attacks on divers? Also what kind of sharks are down this way? I've heard of Sand Tigers around Moorehead.

Oh I did the Triangle Wrecks last weekend - 1-3ft of vis with 62F water. Very cold, but it was a good dive which I'd love to repeat in more favourable conditions.
We have seen a lot of sand tigers and my buddy Tommy swears up and down we saw a bull shark once, but other than that I haven't seen any other types in VB/NC. I don't know about attacks on divers, but they are very rare and not worth worrying about, IMHO.

that you has best not step on or kneel on if you are doing the PADI AOW training - see another post regarding this :D

Dove off SC in July with my 12 year old daughter.

The barracuda were longer than she was.

Speaking of critters that can hurt you-I have always wondered about lobsters and crabs, I have seen many a documentary where these critters pulverize a shell or a rock-do they injure divers, who hunt them or attempt to handle them? They look like they could take a digit off zeN

Good point - what is the best way to get a lobster/crab?

My Dad had a rod with a curve on it which he would slide underneath the crab and turn it to pull it out. He always came back with at least 2 crabs :) Now lobsters are a bit different. Different shape and construction!

what is the best way to get a lobster/crab?

They have spiny lobsters with no claws :)

But the claws are where there is some good meat - same goes for crabs (well providing they are decent sized and not the tiny things you usually get at crab houses)

DrSteve once bubbled...
But the claws are where there is some good meat - same goes for crabs (well providing they are decent sized and not the tiny things you usually get at crab houses)
...right off VB or MD.

Guess I'll have to go searching for crabs then. If only I still lived in Bal'mor' I'd have no problems finding crabs!

Sand Tigers are normally not dangerous are they? I went diving in Australia and there were dozens of them. During the dive brief as long as we don't harass them we should be safe.

zeN|| once bubbled...
Speaking of critters that can hurt you-I have always wondered about lobsters and crabs, I have seen many a documentary where these critters pulverize a shell or a rock-do they injure divers, who hunt them or attempt to handle them? They look like they could take a digit off zeN

Ever hear of a mantis shrimp? They're vicious. Males fight during mating season sometimes they'll knock the head off their opponent. Thety've been known to take fingers off divers too. :D I'm getting off the subject I guess since I don't think they live in the Mid-Atlantic.

Back
Top Bottom