Dangerous sea life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crazed_dolphin once bubbled...
Ever hear of a mantis shrimp? They're vicious. Males fight during mating season sometimes they'll knock the head off their opponent. Thety've been known to take fingers off divers too.

I've heard of the mantis shrimp and seen them at the aquarium. Their claws are capable of breaking safety glass and have the power of a .22 caliber bullet.

I dove with a one-legged divemaster off Morehead City in NC. He was an AKA (above-knee amputee) from a shark bite.

He jumped in the water before letting the divers off the boat, came back up, and pulled anchor and took us to another site.

For that, we thank him. Respect the sharks.

Went oyster diving off shore in Bay Ridge (Annapolis). Was mostly a tactile experience. Couldn't see my hand in front of my mask.

Wear gloves when catching spiny lobsters. Don't grab fast crabs with your hands (the hard ones bite) unless you know how to hold them (by the backfin)...the slow ones are soft and good eatin' too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom