Dangers of Barracudas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adder70

Contributor
Reaction score
This is to the Florida divers who say barracudas are not a threat to divers. In general, barracudas pose little to no threat to divers. Most bites are a result of mistaken identity. Most divers choose clear water in which to dive. Since the common diving waters around Florida are very clear at almost all times, the chance of mistakes are minimal.

However, if you are in murky water (brackish areas of rivers or in surf/stormy areas, for example) a 'cuda can easily mistake some portion of your body for a smaller fish. hence the frequency of bites upon people wearing jewelry and/or watches, etc. This is why some people refer to barracudas as racist fish. Black people tend to have much lighter colored palms, and in murky water 'cudas can fail to see the rest of the body and think they are attacking a fish the size of a human palm.

Sure, they tend to let go as soon as they realize they just grabbed something far larger than themselves, but once those inch long teeth have been inserted into your hand, the damage is done! :eek:

The barracudas ya really gotta watch out for are the ones with a hemi inside. :wink: :eek:ut:

Interesting stuff, and most Apex Predators have similar attributes.

What makes a Cuda much more dangerous however is when a human tries to eat one. At various times, it is said- the meat itself becomes toxic to us.

Old tales abound referencing the placing of a dime (from the silver days?) in the flesh and if it turns black- avoid this fish. Another story involves feeding a portion to the cat... not sure if he has to refuse it or if you have to see of he's still purring afterwards, I don't know.

Either way, Cudas are much more curious (and therefore unnerving) than dangerous.

RoatanMan :cool:

Hmmm. I've never hear the stories about 'cuda meat being toxic..
Interesting to say the least.

Barracuda are one of the most common carriers of the ciguatera toxin, which can make you deathly ill; the effects can linger for months or in some cases years. I don't eat 'em.
Rick

I was eating barracuda 3-4 times a week for several months while travelling. Didn't get ill and don't know anyone who did. Are the cases of toxicity maybe related to local conditions, ie pollution?

DORSETBOY once bubbled...
I was eating barracuda 3-4 times a week for several months while travelling. Didn't get ill and don't know anyone who did. Are the cases of toxicity maybe related to local conditions, ie pollution?
You were lucky.
Use the link to learn about ciguatera.
Rick

Ciguatera toxin is widespread but is mostly found in the flesh of many tropical fish including snapper, jack, and barracuda. The toxin has been found in varying amounts in over 500 species of fish. The toxin is caused by a dinoflagelate found in algae and accumulates in the host’s tissues over time. Certain reef disturbances, natural or manmade - hurricanes, heavy rains, algal blooms, or dredging or wharf construction - are believed to cause an increase in the affected algae - so effectively, you could consider it a function of environmental conditions. Cooking the affected fish also does not destroy the toxin. More bad news is that a quick test for the toxin is not yet available and there is no clearly agreed on treatment. The current test a mouse bioassay which kills the mouse and takes 3 - 4 days for results. Folk test methods like the silver spoon or dime tarnishing or putting the fish flesh to your lips to see if it causes tingling are totally unreliable.

Ciguatera poisoning may mimic DCS with its symptoms and is not easily diagnosed. The Ciguatera Hotline was established specifically to help physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of the disorder. DAN's Emergency Diving Hotline is another resource that can link you up in cases of suspected poisoning.

Some recommendations for avoiding poisoning include:

Don't eat fish that weigh more than 5 or 6 pounds.

Avoid the most suspect species: barracuda, eels, snapper, jack. Barracuda, amberjack and blackjack have been banned in Puerto Rico and red bass likewise in Australia.

Don't eat internal organs, or viscera, where toxin accumulates.

Listen to local wisdom about fish to avoid.

If possible, order the whole fish -- this guarantees a fish small enough to fit in your plate, and is perhaps a safer bet to consume.

This all may sound scary but, Hey!....we live in a scary world. We drive. :eek: We dive. :shark: We still eat sushi. It is far more dangerous for any of y'all to stand between me and a freshly grilled amberjack steak!!!!

Forewarned is forearmed. Use your knowledge and make an informed choice. Life goes on.

Barracuda can be really Bad!! However most of the time they are not agressive and exhibit curiosity. It seems that, recently, a number of attacks by barracida on divers have happened in very clear water, at night with divers using dive lights or high intensity photo lights.

At present, there is no central information repository for the reporting of barracuda attacks such as the International Shark Attack File. It would seem that there are many barracuda attacks worldwide that happen, but are not reported. They are also bad for dive operators businesses.

On the other hand, ciguatera is a much greater risk, as are lightening, autos, alligator and dog bites, and probably bites by fellow humans.

ill have to agree with tankajava on this, in the bahamas the folks there say the fish on the reef are toxin, not just cudas, and the toxin was to originate from the reef, ..well the small fish eat when feeding on the algey and quess where the cuda hangs out? where the small fish are, most of the time always near a reef of structure of some sort

but about the testing for the toxin, the folks on deep water kay had test strips they used to decect the toxin, a guy named utly there had had the ilness for a year or so and was paralized in his left leg and hand, ,,,wierd that you say cuda because he said thats the fish that gave it to him...

Cuda Toxins

I have been spearing, catching and eating barracuda since age 13. I have been extremely lucky. Up until about five years ago I would spear about one a year in the open Gulf of Mexico off the Texas coast. I felt that by limiting myself to barracuda which were not reef feeders, I was minimizing my chances of ciguatera. I no longer eat barracuda under any circumstances, starvation not withstanding.

Interestingly enough, a study is currently underway which is specifically designed to determine the low or high incidence of ciguatera in the Gulf of Mexico. You can log on to "Spearboard.com" for details. My guess is that the study will show that there is a lower incidence of ciguatera in the Gulf of Mexico, primarily due to the lack of algae producing reefs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom