Dangers of Barracudas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, folks,

One should not make light of what a barracuda is capable of doing. True, they are usually harmless. However, they are unpredictable and can be very dangerous (aside from ciguatera).

They will attack, unprovoked. Fortunately, most injuries are non-fatal and can be treated. And yes, there were two other "attacks" that I'm aware of that occured on the same night in August 2003, at the Flower Gardens. One involved a videographer ( with whom I have personally spoken) This was done because of the high interest I have in this subject.

A central repository of barracuda incidence related information should be established. I think it would be surprisingly revealing.

..well I remember back in '52, when I was wrestling Killer Kawolski in the semi finals, and this big ol' 'cuda got out on the mat. We wuz baring our teeth to each other when he jumped at me and I grabbed him by the...

Ok. So I exaggerate a little. It was actually '48.

Seriously: Cigutara test kits are sold here on Maui by the DLNR. Chances of getting it are low but the seriousness of it is high. It kinda reminds me of lyme disease. Symptoms vary from case to case. One weird symptom is that hot things feel cold and cold things feel hot. How weird is that??

This is a direct quote from the FDA website:

Barracuda is one of a number of warm-water marine finfish species that have been implicated in ciguatera fish poisoning (CFP). Ciguatera toxin is carried to humans by contaminated fin fish from the extreme southeastern U.S., Hawaii, and subtropical and tropical areas worldwide.

Safest thing to do is eat veggies and photograph fish :)

Back
Top Bottom