Darwin Awards of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My most recent two examples come from Bonaire.

Karpata
The dive site Karpata has an old cement pier. The pier is solid, not that much above the waves and at the end it is probably between waist and chest deep. The waves tend to come from the W to SW and can be large by Bonaire leeward standards. On this day, the waves were probably a bit more than 3 feet. Rather than exiting along the north side of the dock, they stood facing the dock with the waves at their back. Getting pushed into the dock, setting gear on the dock, watching that gear get washed around, etc.

Pink Beach
I wasn't on this dive but the guy involved told me all about it that night at the rinse tank where I was staying. Not quite a twilight dive, they got done shortly before sunset. They surfaced a ways out (it is a longer swim out than many other sites). There were clouds to the west and shore to the east. He surfaced and led his group on a surface swim directly west towards what he thought was "the mountains of Bonaire." Actually, he was swimming straight out to sea and towards some clouds where the sun either just had was soon to set. Someone in their group eventually realized this and alerted the group. At that point, another in the group began to panic when they realized how long a swim they now had to make. They had to tow that person back. Oh, and unless I recall the orientation of Pink Beach incorrectly, swimming towards the mountains would not have led them directly to shore either... (My two sources were the diver who led them out to sea and the diver who got towed in.)

In the spirt of the thread: The story of Richard Pyle.
Confessions of a mortal diver

Thanks, Bonairetrip, because that is absolutely the most intense and informative bends story I have ever read. Nothing in AlertDiver magazine ever came close to that (of course cuz the story is long and detailed, and DAN's stories are a bit more sanitized).

A truly amazing story. I think the parts about the masks will always stick with me (glass always falling out, etc.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom