Dating a Mako K14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NO OIL LEAKS :)

And I had around 900 PSI oil pressure.

I'm going to grab a tachometer from work tomorrow and see exactly how fast I have the unit turning. My math says in the 950 RPM range. I'll have to see how close I am.

20181001_140254.jpg
Resurrecting this post. I saw this K14 compressor for $2k but I need your expert advice before pulling the trigger.

1. Can someone help me identify what year model this is? Serial number says 2/512
2. Are there available parts?
Screenshot_20181001-191148_Video Player.jpg

3. Is it worth the price? (hour meter says it's been running for only ~400 hours)

Looking forward and thank you in advance for your replies!

I can't tell the year based on the plate. Normally in the model it would be k-14/2 numbers for a year. For instance mine is K14-85 so it's an 85 model.
Yes there are available parts both oem and aftermarket. K14s are one of the most popular compressors out there and it will be serviceable for years to come. Mine had 1100 hours when my compressor guy picked it up from a paintball field that took horrible care of it. The compressor tech did a complete overhaul, repainted it, and put it on a really nice upright frame. 8 years ago we paid $1800 for the unit and remember it was in horrible shape. So realistically $2000 isn't bad though I'd try to get it cheaper. The questions are: does it still run, how's it sound when it's run, maintenance history, and oil used. In order to feel safe using it, I would break the whole unit down, inspect everything, and do a 500 hour maintenance on it. K14s are pretty easy to work on, though a job that big I would leave to someone with more knowledge than me.

I'd prefer to pay $1500 for it, but wouldn't not buy it at $2000. It is a unit that will last longer than you if it's in good shape and is maintained well.

Mid-late 70's or earlier, Mako moved to Ocala about that time.

Thank you for the responses.

The questions are: does it still run, how's it sound when it's run, maintenance history, and oil used.

I was able to see it running and filling a tank from 1500 psi to 3000 psi to around 6 minutes so I think it is close to its charge rate which is 8cfm. The owner said that it is being serviced annually.

What's interesting is that I heard the owner saying that the oil he is using is "vegetable oil". I actually tried removing the oil dip stick and I checked the oil color and it is really similar to "vegetable oil" in terms of color and viscosity. Is this really something being done normally?

I uploaded a video of it running here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11diIR1KAu77MCwLb9hQLXdpblId7nc2O

I hope you can give me some feedback as I am on the fence. Appreciate your help! :)

I watched the video and it sounds good, though that's only a little snippet and would be better to hear it from startup to full pressure. I assume it has the classic K14 floating piston that sounds horrible at startup. That wouldn't be a concern.

Personally, if you're in the market I'd buy it and probably would pay the $2000. Though it's possible to get one a little cheaper but it could be an extended wait. As a whole K14s are awesome. It sounds as though your compressor knowledge is a little limited (no offense meant). If so, at a bare minimum I would have an air test done when you get it home and see what it puts out. Preferably though, I would want to either go through the unit or even more likely have a professional take a look and service it. Many people's yearly service is adding oil and that's it. Others may say don't waste your money having a tech go through it, but I think it's money well spent. It will give you an idea of your starting point and if there are any potential upcoming issues. An unseen issue can get pricey if you just wait till it leads to the pump failing.

As for vegetable oil, I suspect he's being colloquial and referring to a synthetic oil as opposed to mineral oil. I've heard quite a few people call their synthetic oil vegetable oil because supposedly some are safe enough to put in your mouth. That's just what I've been told. Maybe he really used vegetable oil, but I really hopefully doubt it.

Thank you for watching the video. It has like a knocking sound during startup and it was ok after few seconds. Looks like you're right that it has the 4th stage floating piston.

I think I am 80% decided right now in buying it and will take your advice to get it inspected by a pro. I was searching for service kits and found out that the 1000-hour kit would cost around $1000. I am deciding whether to get the 500-hour kit or the 1000-hour kit thinking that might as well do the 1000hr service since i am not sure when it was "fully-serviced". Do you think this makes sense? Or should I go with 500hr kit?

And yes, I really have almost zero knowledge with regards to scuba compressors so I am really happy to get responses from you... :)

That knocking is normal because of the floating piston. First time I heard mine I thought WTF am I buying. I would say buy it and skip buying any kit. Since you have minimal knowledge, take it to a tech to see what shape it's in. He can give you tips and even may let you hang out and watch some of it so you learn about the unit and how to service it. You really need to know what you're doing with filtration as well. The tech can point you in the right direction as can a call to Lawrence Factor.
Do you have compressor techs in your area? I have a ton of mako and bauer techs here in florida, so it's easy for me. I can fix minor issues. Anything major either the tech does or he walks me through. Luckily the only major thing so far was a burnt out capacitor for the motor drive. Those K14s are workhorses.

Just an update - so I finally pulled the trigger. :lock:

Time to look for compressor techs around my area (Chicago). Hope nothing major needs to be done.

Appreciate your inputs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom