Daughter first "Dive"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Memorial Day Weekend 2007
Water Temp: 78F
pH: 7.5
Cl: OK
My 9 year old daughter getting in her first 20 minutes of bottom time: Priceless

Before anyone asks, it is a 30 with one of my stage regs and an old hard pack.

Pete

Tell her not to ever hold her breath.......

That's awesome! My 10 y/o completed his OW in Key Largo this week. Unfortunately, all we could dive was Jules Lagoon because of the wind BUT now I have a new dive buddy.

Flatliner
aka Robert

Wow! I thought you had to be 10 to start OW. I'm waiting for my grandson to be my buddy.

I've had both my kids, 8 and 11, in the backyard pool also. They really like to just mess around.

And yes, I beat into their heads, and they repeat back to me "We KNOW Dad, never hold your breath".

My daughter is physically old enough to start OW, but not mentally strong enough. I think my son is mentally old enough, but not physically old enough.

-D

My problem is that my 4 year old son is chumping at the bit to do ANYTHING his sister does. And they are both looking at my double hose DW Mistral and DA Aqua Master with the yellow hoses so they can be "real" scuba divers like they see on TV. I guess I should back off a bit on the Sea Hunt and Coustue videos.

She is asking when she can do SCUBA again, filling the 30 might get expensive, time to break out an old 60 or 72 from the back of the garage.

Now when they can swing the doubles, I'm in real trouble.

I was talking to a guy the other day who had an HP120 with a 7' hose on an innertube that his kids used like a hooka set up. I thought that was pretty cool. My kids would like me to do something similar for them.

Flatliner
aka Robert

Must be nice to have parents and relatives who want to dive. I'm 19 and doing this on my own. Cheers to all of you who take your kids and grandkids. It's a great experience and I'm sure you're making someone's day.

Excellent thing to do... PADI actually has a program for 8 & 9 year olds called bubblemaker. They learn scuba in a pool enviorment, maybe on that hose idea. My son is 6 and I can't wait to get him into it myself..

shotthebreeze:
Must be nice to have parents and relatives who want to dive. I'm 19 and doing this on my own. Cheers to all of you who take your kids and grandkids. It's a great experience and I'm sure you're making someone's day.

Shotthebreeze, don't worry about it. Just go for it on your own and remember all this stuff when you have kids someday. I started out because of my brother and his wife and my sister and her husband myself and am glad that I did.

Pete,

I just certified an 11 year old for her junior o/w cert over the past 2 weekends. It was a class of 6. The others were 15 to 17 year olds. They all did really well, but this little girl kicked ***. She always did what was asked of her, and on time, while the others dragged butt getting their gear cleaned and themselves back in the classroom. She had all of her assignments in ahead of time. I took her on her 4th o/w dive by myself. No one was going to take that joy away from me. Her skills were impeccable and she had the highest score on her final. I will never forget this little girl with pink and green braces....Savanna...You done good honey:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom