Day 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigJetDriver

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Well, I met Caveseeker7 and Tobin George of Deep Sea Supply. This has been great, seeing friendly faces whom I have "met" but never met!

It has also been a great show for we re-breather folk! It has been laid back and easy going!

(And Natasha, well..."What about Moose and Squirrel?" :11:

Well day three has shaped up to be a little better than the previous days. I spoke with several vendors at the DEMA Awards party this evening and although everyone agreed that the traffic count was down they were able to "do a little business". One positive spin that I heard was that with the "big guys" out of the way the smaller folks had a little more face time with the attendees. Another great thing that I was glad to hear about- because the show was far from the total failure that some had predicted it appears that next years show should see a few of the missing mfg's back.
For those of you that are kind of new at this, if your planning to attend DEMA next year, start saving your money-NO the travel expenses won't be high, NO the air fare should be reasonable,No the hotels won't be expensive, you need to save your $$ because when you step out of your hotel elavator the first thing your going to hear is that too familiar "slot machine jingle" See ya' in Vegas
The DEMA Awards show was great-everyone looked to be having a lot of fun. Leslie Nielson was the M.C. and was very entertaining. My wife really wanted to get her picturre with him as she is a great fan. Well she wiggled her way up to him amongst the many others trying for a moment of his time. I watched from a few feet away as she introduced herself and they spoke for a few moments. Mr. Nielson seemed quite amused. After she stepped away and yielded to the many others trying for their chance I asked her what she said. " I told him that I loved him in Seahunt, he said he gets that all the time!"

This was my first DEMA so I have nothing but other trade shows to compare it to but I had a great time. He Who Shall Not Be Named and I seem to always be a few steps behind Pete...man that guy can step out! But we managed to keep him in sight most of the time. I got to see lots of venders I've known for years as well as meet those who have only been voices on the phone...very cool!

Hope to see you all tomorrow night at the BBQ. I'm not going back to the show but I'll have my cell phone with me so call if you need directions or something.

Folks,

I'll be at the IANTD booth pretty much all day. Come on by and say: "Howdy"!

Gabriellesub (Gabry the Italian Navy Frogman) will be there as well.

Cheers!

P.S.---BEWARE!!! HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED will be lurking about!! :11:

BJD,

It was pleasure to meet you and all the freindly folks in and around the IANDT booth.

Rebreathers are very well represented this year. 14 different RB's by my count, and I might have missed one more.

Best analogy I heard was "Oshkosh for RB's"

Definitely time well spent.

Regards,

Tobin George

BigJetDriver69:
Well, I met Caveseeker7 and Tobin George of Deep Sea Supply. This has been great, seeing friendly faces whom I have "met" but never met!

It has also been a great show for we re-breather folk! It has been laid back and easy going!
I enjoyed meeting both of you, Hootis and several people from the nw list.

Wish I had found Roni's booth, and met Gabrieleand Ron Micjan with whom I had some off the board contact ... maybe next year.

From a rebreather point of view the show was great, I took plenty of pics and they came out well, too. I was covering the show for Rebreathers Worlwide, and will get the pictures and report to Janwillem asap, so you all get to have look.
Check his updates in a couple of days. :crafty:

I have been to the last 14 DEMA shows. This show had the least amount of attendance by far.

Remember, booth space, airline tickets, hotel rooms, rental cars or ground transportation, and food expensis can build up to $5000 to $25,000 + for a manufacturer or resort just to have a few employees at DEMA. Without mass people coming in it is going to be difficult to make these costs back.

I would assume Vegas will be better in 2005?

if DEMA really wanted to make a big impact then they should have held it in Feburary durning the Houston Rodeo ..... it's one of the largest shows (ELVIS sold out 5 straight nights in the 60's to an est. 200,000 total attendance) and just about every major country/western entertainer has played the Houston Rodeo. There is a diving show in June in Houston called SEASPACE that is open to the public that is one of the largest scuba shows in the nation. Funny how the major vendors showed up for SEASPACE but not DEMA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom