Day trip packages or liveaboard Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canuck_downunder05

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey,

I've been on both Sun Dancer and Aggressor Fleet websites to look at dates and rates for their trips around the Belize dive sites. They seem a little more expensive than I want to spend, but if advised, I have no problem spending the money on them.

Would you guys recommend liveaboard diving, or day trips through hotel/dive packages and if so which company would you recommend going with? Although comparative in price to the Liveaboards, what is the better route to go?

I'm looking at spending just under 2 weeks in Belize towards the end of April, beginning of May and would like to do at least a week of diving (3-4 dives a day). And yes I realize I'm missing "whale shark target spotting's....any chance they will surprisingly pop up...? Also I would appreciate the ins and outs of the dives spots to hit up and the ones to avoid. I'm a dive instructor with 6 years of experience and over 800 dives. I would rather avoid training dive sites or lots of sand or just over dived sites. I want to know that the dives I am on are rich in marine life and kind of meet my expectations.

I do want to dive blue hole, even though I have read mixed reviews.

Thanks for your time and suggestions,
Carissa

Also would it be possible to find an all inclusive flight/resort package and then find a dive shop with in reasonable distance and do 2-4 dives a day?

where would the best place to dive out of be?

Ambergris Caye Belize City
Caye Caulker Dangriga
Placencia Turneffe Atoll

I have been to Belize 3 times in the past three years, all on the Aggressor. First you need to decide is this a dive vacation or a vacation with diving.
On a live aboard you get up in the morning, drink you coffee, put on your gear, step off the back of the boat at your divesite, complete dive and have a hot shower on the dive deck, coffee waiting for you, drop your gear in your spot where it is filled in place while you are having a hot breakfast. Up to five dives a day.
At a resort, you get up in the morning, eat breakfast, load your stuff on the boat, set it up, take a boat ride from 20 mins to an hour to your divesite, put on your gear, complete dive, switch tanks, have some fruit juice do it again.
I think if you do the math you will find out that a Liveaboard is worth every cent. It is really equal too or slightly hire than a resort. You need to figure per tank per day+food+room

I think the Sun Dancer is cheaper. It is a larger boat, I love the Aggressor Crew.

I agree with Doubler. I've done live-aboards in Belize and I've done shore packages on Ambergris Key, and a live-aboard will give you a far more rewarding experience if diving is your focus. On the other hand, there isn't much in the way of luxury on live-aboards, nor is there anything remotely resembling night life. If that's what you're looking for, land-based is the best option.

Without a shadow of a doubt its Liveaboard all the way if you want to Dive the best diving Belize has to offer and all you want to do is eat dive sleep etc.

Turneffe Island is another option if you dont want to stay on a boat all the time but as far as the best diving in Belize I have always said that is at Lighthouse Reef, Turneffe Islands and Glovers Reef Period.

If you are looking for something more than just diving them Ambergris Caye or Placencia fit the bill but if its the best diving you want then it has to be a Liveboard or Turneffe Island

Gaz Cooper

Thanks for your replies guys. I've been on several liveaboards both as guest and work and agree with you guys on all your points. I was just wondering price wise if there could be a way to save some coin and get similar dive opportunities. But with the points raised regarding boat travel time, hauling equipment back and forth and it also seems like the day trips won't really offer the dive itinerary I'm interested in, not to mention how conservative they are.

Also thanks for the reviews Dan. Been reading quite a few so trying to weigh out pros and cons.

IF I had to pick between Belize or Cozumel, what would be better? I realize price wise Mexico will be cheaper, plus I have also found better flight deals down there as well (about $400 return). A flight to Belize will cost at least $1050.00 and could take 11-15 hours to get there and then another $1800-$2000 for the liveaboard. This won't even include the additional 5 days we have to backpack around.

Diving wise are they as comparable?

Gaz as a dive instructor who has been out of the water for 4 month since I left my job in Turks and Caicos, your post is really making me lean towards liveaboard... but I also may have others joining now, that might not be able to afford this.... I'm torn. I miss being at sea for days! Diving, eating and sleeping, then doing it all over again!

Belize CANNOT compete with Cozumel for value for money the cost of a Mexican dive vacation is peanuts and hard for any destination to beat it but I will say I dont think Cozumel can match the diving offered at Ligthhouse Reef Turneffe and Glovers.

I have dove all those locations and Cozumel has some real nice diving but nothing compated to the Atolls of Belize and the best way to dive the Atolls is Liveaboard.

I generally never take a dive vacation that is not on a Liveaboard and will be heading the the Maldives in April for a Liveaboard trip, and then possibly the Galapagos again in Spetember.
You just cant beat the ease of diving from a Liveaboard and the quality of diving on offer.

If you have others joining you and its out of there price range, you may have to consider Ambergris which will give you access to nice local diving and then day trips out to the Blue Hole and Ligthhouse Reef and Turneffe so while its not the best option at least you get to dive the best sites on a couple of long day trips out ot the Atolls while still enjoying a vacation with friends.

Gaz Cooper

Beware of Mexico! I read this morning that crime levels have risen massively in the Cancun/Playa/Cozumel area, and so have prices as mafia gangs move in and demand protection money. Some people I know have just got back this morning from a trip there, one of many they have made, and they say things have greatly and recently changed. I think the drug gangs are having so many problems on the other side of Mexico they've decided to go for the soft underbelly - the vacationing tourists. And the police in that area, who used to be very good to tourists, are now targetting them themselves. Someone I know was driving a rental car in that area when he was stopped by police on no charge, but was obliged to hand over a large amount of money to avoid what he was told would be a term in jail, but which he suspected would end rather differently. He was very afraid, and he's not a timid sort of guy.

An example on prices - I read that the cheapest budget hotel in Playa, that used last year to charge under US$50/night, now charges over US$100.

But back on diving - if you want to dive, dive, dive then go on a liveaboard. If you want a more rounded experience then (carefully) choose a land-based holiday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom