Day trips to GBR for snorkeling - have moderate experience - recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

~RJ~

New
Reaction score
My husband and I will be in Cairns for a week in mid-July. I have some snorkeling experience, he has somewhat less (but still some). Would appreciate advice on day trips to "good" reef area(s). Have heard "horror" stories about going to mediocre spots with buoys marking off where to go (and not go) and being crowded in with tons of very inexperienced folks. We're trying to avoid that fate, if possible...

Any advice appreciated!

There are a lot of decent day trips out of Cairns and you want ones that visit the Outer Reef (on the edge of the continental shelf, better visibility and more life). Tusa would be my pick as it has more time at the Reef, fast boat (90 mins travel) and decent sites. Guides are optional and sites are close to the boat when moored up.

Cheaper options are out there like Sea Quest that doubles up as a transfer vessel to the over night boat, so a bit less time on the Reef.

Other option is if you want to get of of the boat then look at Reef Magic which has glass bottom boats, semi sub, great snorkeling and you are off of the boat onto a pontoon for the day.

I would look at Tusa as best option and maybe Reef Quest as next best. Both take up to 80 people though.

Only small number boat I would recommend (goes to the Inner Reef but is a small sailing catamaran and a really fun trip) would be Reef Day Tripper.

Thanks - much appreciated.

There are a lot of decent day trips out of Cairns and you want ones that visit the Outer Reef (on the edge of the continental shelf, better visibility and more life). Tusa would be my pick as it has more time at the Reef, fast boat (90 mins travel) and decent sites. Guides are optional and sites are close to the boat when moored up.

Cheaper options are out there like Sea Quest that doubles up as a transfer vessel to the over night boat, so a bit less time on the Reef.

Other option is if you want to get of of the boat then look at Reef Magic which has glass bottom boats, semi sub, great snorkeling and you are off of the boat onto a pontoon for the day.

I would look at Tusa as best option and maybe Reef Quest as next best. Both take up to 80 people though.

Only small number boat I would recommend (goes to the Inner Reef but is a small sailing catamaran and a really fun trip) would be Reef Day Tripper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom