Dc1000 for spearfishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toastman

Contributor
Reaction score
Would you guys recommend this camera for freshwater spearfishing (mounted on the speargun) ?
Is there a wrist strap I can buy with it??
Thanks !!!

Tell us about your submarine first...?

"Would you guys recommend this camera for freshwater spearfishing" Nope

Care to elaborate?
I don't know how experienced you are at diving as nothing shows on your post so I did not look at your profile. Camera shooting or spearfishing both distract from safe buddy diving and to combine them sounds excessive. I have not done any spear hunting but I have screwed up horribly by following my camera alone. Additionally, having one mounted on a gun sounds like it could lead to entanglement challenges and at best loss of equipment when a camera breaks free. You just might get some video shot before the shaking on the line disrupts that, but I doubt you could get a good, clean shot.

Have you used either a speargun or a camera? Cameras don't shoot far away well; if you fire the camera first, the flash will spook the fish; if you fire the spear first, you'll be struggling with your target; and you don't get very good shots without a strobe anyway - which would really add to a gun challenge.
I don't recommend any camera when spearfishing. I don't need that kind of task loading... lol
He is a very experienced diver. If he wouldn't, it's probly a bad idea.

I don't know how experienced you are at diving as nothing shows on your post so I did not look at your profile. Camera shooting or spearfishing both distract from safe buddy diving and to combine them sounds excessive. I have not done any spear hunting but I have screwed up horribly by following my camera alone. Additionally, having one mounted on a gun sounds like it could lead to entanglement challenges and at best loss of equipment when a camera breaks free. You just might get some video shot before the shaking on the line disrupts that, but I doubt you could get a good, clean shot.

Have you used either a speargun or a camera? Cameras don't shoot far away well; if you fire the camera first, the flash will spook the fish; if you fire the spear first, you'll be struggling with your target; and you don't get very good shots without a strobe anyway - which would really add to a gun challenge.

He is a very experienced diver. If he wouldn't, it's probly a bad idea.

I am an OK freediver. My max is about 40 feet. and yes, I have been spearfishing many times.

You are talking as if it's not normal to have a camera mounted to your speargun. Check how many vids there are on youtube for spearfishing.

Also, I am mostly concerned bout video, not pics.

I believe I will go with the G10 !

Ok cool, you know more than I on that then. It's probly different for a free diver anyway. Have fun. Don't forget to pick up some Damp Rid.

You are talking as if it's not normal to have a camera mounted to your speargun. Check how many vids there are on youtube for spearfishing.

Also, I am mostly concerned bout video, not pics.

I believe I will go with the G10 !
It is uncommon. Most of the videos on youtube were shot by another person, only a small amount were shot by the person who is actively hunting.

I recommend an actual video camera and a housing from Ikelite. You can turn on the video and forget about it. You will get better underwater videos without using spot or focus lights.

Other than that, I honestly recommend that you concentrate on one or the other. There are reasons the vast majority of underwater hunters don't mount video cameras to their equipment, and there are reasons the vast majority of underwater photographers and videographers don't use a speargun underwater

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom