DC1400 difficult to use buttons underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Senecafalls

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Used my new DC1400 for the first time two weeks ago for a week of diving in the Keys. Ran into a problem when trying to toggle the buttons on the camera during the dive. i'm thinking that maybe there might be a little too much play within the underwater housing that results in not having a direct connection between the camera's buttons and the underwater housing buttons? Anyone else have similar issues?

I plan on bringing the camera to the Beneath the Sea show in a few weeks to ask the Sealife folks if I am doing something wrong?

Just returned from Roatan my first dive trip and my first time using a 1400 . other than turn on and shoot, I only had to operate the camera buttons once underwater, when I forgot to switch from land mode to underwater. But doing Menu > Easy set up > Underwater > Dive> camera no lights. was in fact quite easy. Also I had it set to turn off, after 2 minutes so I was switching it on quite a bit and no problem there either? Couple of pics below

Attachments

• Help me.jpg
    Help me.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 141
  • PICT0039.jpg
    PICT0039.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 136
2 nice pix

Sealife...i'm going to start with talking with your folks at beneath the sea in a few weeks. want to make sure i am not doing anything wrong before i start looking at if it is an issue with the camera. thanks for your post.

I have found that during a good week of diving, the buttons on my DC1200 begin to not function properly even after putting in fresh water right after the dive and rinsing off the case. I found you need to exercise all the buttons and controls while in fresh water to really clean it out. After figuring that out, it works like new the next morning every time!

The 1400's shutter takes more than a second or two after I press the button. It's amazing how much a fish can move in a second - not to mention trying to hover perfectly still. Has anyone found a way to make the shutter respond quicker?

Hi Senecafalls,
The picture need some color editing like any underwater photo without strobe or red filter. If you have adobe photoshop google underwater action script for adobe photoshop. The action script is located on adobe website. but it is quicker to get the link with google. Just run the underwater action script. The color of you picture will pop . No more pale blue/green picture.

Fred-The best way I've found is to set the focal length to infinite, when applicable. As long as the subject is 3' or further away, that setting works fine, and it drastically reduces the shutter lag. But yeah, anything inside of that range, it's a crap shoot. I've missed several ops trying to get a good macro shot of juvenile trunkfish because they never stay still long enough to get focused on them... Cute little bastards...lol.

Coralgirl-Do you have much experience using that script? I'd love to see some examples of its results. I use Aperture for Mac, which doesn't offer any shortcuts like that, at least that I'm aware of... I may just have to make the switch.

Our friend has had similar button problem. During a recent trip to Truk, he found that none of the buttons would work at depth. This after he had already returned the camera for another problem. A little upsetting after having recommended the SeaLife to him.

Back
Top Bottom