Dcs At 6m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cancun mark:
there is a lesser known form of decompression sickness associated with rapid ascents, called shock decompression.

A similar thing happens when you hit an open beer bottle on the top of the neck with another beer bottle, the beer that was offgassing nicely now overflows spilling the beer.
But as previously stated in the other thread, there must still be ongassing for DCS to occur. The beer was saturated and had gas in its solution. A dive to 15 feet for 5 minutes does not really result in much ongassing. I too would like to hear Dr. Deco's thought on this.

DepartureDiver:
But as previously stated in the other thread, there must still be ongassing for DCS to occur. The beer was saturated and had gas in its solution. A dive to 15 feet for 5 minutes does not really result in much ongassing. I too would like to hear Dr. Deco's thought on this.

That's what I thought.

BigJetDriver69:
MonkSeal,

One should remember that the ultimate test for DCS is the so-called "Test of Pressure". If we press the patient down, and get immediate relief of symptoms, whatever else is going on, we do have "bubble trouble".

Cheers!

I can't agree with that, or better to say "bubble trouble" isn't neccessary DSC and DSC is what we're talking about here. Again, 15 feet 5 min ??

This is a super example of why to activate EMS and make a trip to the ED instead of wasting time trying to diagnose in the field, or going directly to the Chamber, if there is one in the area. The EMS/ED system is designed to take care of acute cases and funnel them to the correct place for definitive care. Take advantage of it.

ArcticDiver:
This is a super example of why to activate EMS and make a trip to the ED instead of wasting time trying to diagnose in the field, or going directly to the Chamber, if there is one in the area. The EMS/ED system is designed to take care of acute cases and funnel them to the correct place for definitive care. Take advantage of it.
One would think, but I'm not sold that EMS is on top of diving issues. I don't think EMS necessarily starts proper treatment since DCS is very different from what they are used to. One example is the lack of understanding that 100% oxygen is needed for gas washout where they are used to it being an issue of O2 uptake and therefore may decrease oxygen flow. Of course, if the local EMS is trained in diye accident managment, then this is not an issue. Of course I'm not advocating that EMS/ED be discarded or ignored, only that if not trained they don't quite get it.

I have been reading much about DCS lately. I'm a new diver and I do want to do it as safely as possible. Not wanting to make light of this type of injury, but if I'm on vacation some place lets say Playa del Carmen in Mexico, although it is better not to drink alcohol before a dive. If a person were to have one drink before they dove though I probably wouldn't, but from what I've read so far is that it would be safer to drink a marguarita then a beer just to the fact that beer is far more carbinated then a marguarita is.

From what I've read over the last few months about DCS its the gas in a person system that has to be bled off in a safe manner, so therefore it is even safer to drink a Marguarita then soda. So why is it that when I've been on a boat dive some of the operators offer soda as a refreshment instead of just water, gater aid or just juice?:confined:

Dear Readers:

I am afraid I missed this the first time around. I seriously doubt that it is possible to get any form of DCS with a dive of five minutes to fifteen feet. It is possible that she:

- simply magnified a little pain in her hand into a big pain, or
- hit or sprained her hand and attributed the pain to DCS since she had been diving.

Dr Deco :doctor:

STOGEY:
I have been reading much about DCS lately. I'm a new diver and I do want to do it as safely as possible. Not wanting to make light of this type of injury, but if I'm on vacation some place lets say Playa del Carmen in Mexico, although it is better not to drink alcohol before a dive. If a person were to have one drink before they dove though I probably wouldn't, but from what I've read so far is that it would be safer to drink a marguarita then a beer just to the fact that beer is far more carbinated then a marguarita is.

From what I've read over the last few months about DCS its the gas in a person system that has to be bled off in a safe manner, so therefore it is even safer to drink a Marguarita then soda. So why is it that when I've been on a boat dive some of the operators offer soda as a refreshment instead of just water, gater aid or just juice?:confined:
No offense, but DCS hasn't been explained to you properly. It has to do with the gas you breath and not the bubbles in a a beverage. The biggest issue for DCS is that alcohol will cause dehydration which can be a big factor ... not to mention impairing your judgment ... just don't do it.

Hello STOGEY:

The carbonation in a beverage in your stomach will not cause dissolved carbon dioxide build up in your tissues. As Departure Diver said, the biggest problem is the alcohol can lead to problems of bad judgment. “Poor Judgment” is a bad dive buddy. :11:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Back
Top Bottom