Dcs At 6m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DepartureDiver:
One would think, but I'm not sold that EMS is on top of diving issues. I don't think EMS necessarily starts proper treatment since DCS is very different from what they are used to. One example is the lack of understanding that 100% oxygen is needed for gas washout where they are used to it being an issue of O2 uptake and therefore may decrease oxygen flow. Of course, if the local EMS is trained in diye accident managment, then this is not an issue. Of course I'm not advocating that EMS/ED be discarded or ignored, only that if not trained they don't quite get it.

Have to strongly differ with you. In fact DCS is very little different from the panopoly of complaints the EMS/ED team handles every day. EMS is trained to maintain life support in the environment they operate in. They can do initial screening, and in some cases, notably cardiac events, begin treatment. They have a drug box that can handle most acute, life threatening situations. Remember, at this point DCS is only suspected, not confirmed. The actual problem may be such that you wouldn't have time to get to the hospital by private transportation.

While you may have some specific event in mind, I can't imagine any one reducing oxygen flow unless by some fluke they were forced into a situation of having to ration oxygen due to a shortage. Most EMS folks I'm familiar with follow the rule that some oxygen is good; more is better, a lot is best. Unless ruled out by other signs and symptoms everyone gets oxygen when they come aboard the ambulance. A common administration is 15 lpm via non-rebreather mask. While that isn't as good as a hyperbaric chamber it's pretty effective.

So, call EMS. If the problem is DCS their treatment will help; certainly it will not harm. If, as is most likely, the problem is not DCS you will begin the assessment and diagnosis process much earlier and get long term treatment much sooner. If the problem suddenly turns immediately life threatening you will either be in an ambulance or the ED; which is where I would want to be if bad things happen.

d33ps1x:
Quiting smoking can go a long way towards this goal.
I must admit that I would have thought that too at first. However I've read in several places that it is actually not the case.......funny that. Still, if you can make an AL80 last 720 mins at any depth I suppose I'd have to bow before your obviously superior skills. :D Meanwhile I'm happy enough to make it last to the NDL of the depth I'm diving.

The Kracken:
Based on my SAC rate I would need 5.5 80 cubic feet tanks.

Wow you must have gills :wink:

DORSETBOY:
.. with enough air to come up too? :11:
(Hmmmmmmm.........can't think of a clever reply.......it's too early)

To Dr. Deco and dpeparture diver,

No offense taken, I'm just trying to understand as much as I can about DCS as I can. DCS seems to be such an easy injury to attain while at the same time it is very easy to prevent, by being conservative when diving and using common sense.

I was trying to correlate the similarity between drinking a beer and soda before a dive. Not necessary for the alcaholic affect but the similarity. Because you can become dehydrated from soda as well as from alcahol. You could become dehydrated by drinking coffee,hot chocolate etc, because they are all diearetics.

When reading through the above topic you get a feeling that one of the best ways to avoid DCS besides knowing your tables is by being hydrated. Therefore as a diaretic coffee would be as harmful as a beer, soda that's all.

STOGEY:
I was trying to correlate the similarity between drinking a beer and soda before a dive. Not necessary for the alcaholic affect but the similarity. Because you can become dehydrated from soda as well as from alcahol. You could become dehydrated by drinking coffee,hot chocolate etc, because they are all diearetics.

When reading through the above topic you get a feeling that one of the best ways to avoid DCS besides knowing your tables is by being hydrated. Therefore as a diaretic coffee would be as harmful as a beer, soda that's all.
I was hoping someone wasn't trying to tell you a soda could be a contibuting factor to DCS. Hopefully I didn't sound too harsh and my comment was more directed at people giving you possible bad information and not at you ... so keep asking the questions. I'm not sure which is more of a diuretic, but you are absolutely right, stay away from caffeine (in some sodas too) as well as alcohol. I have seen some individuals not be comfortable during a dive due to drinking a carbonated beverage ... but it is more personal preference. Drinking juice is a good way to slam down some liquid fast. Yes, being hydrated is very important to diving. Another important issue is pre and post dive activity and exertion, which Dr. Deco can enlighten you on some more and you can find in some other threads here. Activity can create nuclei which will increase DCS risk.

You are correct,

I just read in another thread that exerting yourself too much after a dive can cause some unexpected problems. Even sitting in a hot tub may incude some bad side affects. I wonder how the Navy Seals deal with this, since they are always exerting themselves.

Of course, when a navy seal or navy diver gets a hit its the US that picks up the tab.

STOGEY:
Of course, when a navy seal or navy diver gets a hit its the US that picks up the tab.
Hmmm, interesting. I wonder what type of missions you are envisiong for the SEALS to perform?. Not my branch of service so I am not the expert on US Navy Seals. But as I understand it, the nature of SEALS is stealth, get in, get out, don’t make contact and get spotted. In short, you were never there as far as the bad guy knows. But let’s do a hypothetical “mission” analysis.

Scenario 1: Seal Team inserted by submarine with underwater exit from the submarine. I would expect the submarine would come shallow and in as close to target (shore) as they thought safe. So we could say they would exit the submarine at a depth of 60 feet or less (most likely 20-30 feet). Then they would come shallow and swim into shore at a depth of 10-20 feet. If the mission involved scuba or rebreathers, then it is most likely an in water mission requiring them to conduct a reconnaissance of the shore or beach or to plant a charge or listening device. Following this they would return to the submarine. This mission would not require a lot of post dive exertion, maybe just a bit longer swim than we might be use to.

Scenario 2: Mission requires lots of equipment to be “humped” (carried) and/or running on land to attack a site on shore. This mission is probably best be done with a rubber dingy. It would be required to carry the gear and to afford a more speedy exit after the mission. If done with SCUBA, then we have to question how much equipment they could carry ashore. If the mission envisions lots of physical activity on shore such as hand to hand combat, then how much time will the team have to gear up and get back into the water. So again, I think a rubber zodiac with outboard motor or even paddles would be better.

But in the end, we also have to remember that mission accomplishment is the goal. Team member safety is important (it cost a lot to train a seal), but some risk beyond what we as recreational divers would/should accept could be taken.

That said, I beach dive in Southern California. So I try to minimize post dive exertion. That is of course after I climb back up the 50 to 160 foot high hill or cliff (using steep roads, stairs, trails or goat trails and hand/foot holds in some places) after the dive. So some post dive exercise is required. I try to minimize the risk by not staying down to the last nanosecond of the NDL, or resting on the surface for a while before coming out of the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom