Dcs At 6m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quite interesting observation, but I've been watching on the History channel lately those buds training for seals. Anyways even after a dive mission they seem to be always on the go. And as stated earlier on this thread its not working out before a dive that could lead to dcs, but the exertion after the dive that could hasten dcs.

Dr Deco:
Dear Readers:

I am afraid I missed this the first time around. I seriously doubt that it is possible to get any form of DCS with a dive of five minutes to fifteen feet. It is possible that she:

- simply magnified a little pain in her hand into a big pain, or
- hit or sprained her hand and attributed the pain to DCS since she had been diving.

Dr Deco :doctor:
Sorry I missed this earlier to respond, been busy and not able to check in as much as I would like.
Anyway, I wish she would post herself, as she is a Scubaboard member too, but since she hasn't, I do know that she was in pain by the time she surfaced, needed help getting her gear off. However, because of the dive profile, everyone, including her, brushed off the idea of DCS for the same reasons you're all giving. It wasn't until the next day when she woke up and couldn't move/feel her hand that she realized it might be something more serious and called DAN. They arranged a meeting for her with a local doc, who ran her in the chamber. As soon as she hit 60 ft., feeling returned to her hand. I don't remember specifics, but it was something like 6 hours in the chamber she needed to do and now she has no lingering problems. Actually, she's gone on to get her divemaster since this, she just had to wait something like 3 months (I think?) before she was cleared to go back in the water, but she's had no further problems.

saf_25:
Sorry I missed this earlier to respond, been busy and not able to check in as much as I would like.
Anyway, I wish she would post herself, as she is a Scubaboard member too, but since she hasn't, I do know that she was in pain by the time she surfaced, needed help getting her gear off. However, because of the dive profile, everyone, including her, brushed off the idea of DCS for the same reasons you're all giving. It wasn't until the next day when she woke up and couldn't move/feel her hand that she realized it might be something more serious and called DAN. They arranged a meeting for her with a local doc, who ran her in the chamber. As soon as she hit 60 ft., feeling returned to her hand. I don't remember specifics, but it was something like 6 hours in the chamber she needed to do and now she has no lingering problems. Actually, she's gone on to get her divemaster since this, she just had to wait something like 3 months (I think?) before she was cleared to go back in the water, but she's had no further problems.

In the whole story you forget to specify her dives before that particular one. If she made some longer/deeper dive before that dive and than (without enough SI) made a bounce dive (causing similar efect as PFO) that could led her to DCS.

Back
Top Bottom