DCS or Dehydration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

speuci

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are presently in Coz, my GF finished her cert on tuesday and yesterday we did her first open water boat dives, columbia reef (to 85ft for about 20 mins bottom time) - we stayed a few minutes within the no-deco profile, but the profile (on the vt3) was set to conservative, 1 hour surface, san fran wall to about 60ft for about 40 minutes - well within profile, and each with a normal safety stop. After each dive, she had a slight headache ( which I've had myself on occasion) - we were well hydrated the days before, but I feel as though yesterday we stopped drinking lots of water.

After the dives, we returned to the hotel, showerd, and went out for lunch. We sat outside, but shaded for about 2 hours (almost no water consumption) at which point she started getting a bit dizzy and lots of nausea (she felt a rocking sensation which made me think of possible sea sickness). Took her back to the hotel (AC) and let her relax and made her drink lots of water. She took a 30 minute nap and felt better afterwards. Several hours later we were driving around COZ and she started to experience nausia again, so we went to the hospital to get her checked out (the one with the chamber). The doc said she was dehydrated, and might have mild DCS, and put forth the possibility of going in the chamber. He wasn't adimant and we opted to wait to see how she felt in the morning (which he didn't object to). We then went back to the hotel and she drank several bottles of pedialyte (electrolyte water). This morning, she says she feels absolutely normal - we are definately not diving today, and we are going back for a follow up check with the docter, but I'd like to get your thoughts (and the communities' thoughts) on:

1) What you think her issue was,
2) What we did wrong,
3) What we did right...

Thanks!

Headaches are often caused by CO2 retention from overworking underwater. Thats a common problem for new divers.

You may have done nothing wrong but if CO2 was one of the issues better buoyancy skills and not trying to fight the current will go a long way.

Something you might look into is getting checked for a PFO (once your home). A TTE will at least eliminate the chances that she is predisposed to DCS because of a heart issue. Thats a long shot and to me it sounds nothing like DCS but it never hurts to check.

The dizzy spells could have something to do with inner ear problems. Equalizing issues or inner ear DCS. I'm not terribly familiar with either so I'll leave that to someone else.

T

Hi speuci,

The description provided really is not suggestive of DCS. At this point in time there is absolutely no indication that TEE for possible PFO is appropriate. And, it's almost a certainty that on the basis of what has been reported here your medical coverage will not pay a penny toward this somewhat costly and mildly unpleasant procedure.

While slight headache after a dive could suggest C02 retention, significant nausea accompanied by slight dizziness with onset ~2 hrs after the last dive, which then disappears only to reappear much later in the day, is not particularly consistent with this hypothesis.

The symptoms described could be a function of fatigue from the rigors of certification the day prior, the heat and humidity on Coz, dehydration, something she ate, or a combination of these.

In any event, that she hydrated with Pedialyte and woke the next morning feeling entirely normal is a very positive sign.

Plenty of fluids (water mostly; don't overdo the Pedialyte), avoidance of excessive heat, plenty of rest and easy on the exotic foods seems prudent.

If symptoms return after the next day of diving, it's back to the physician. BTW, please let the board know what he had to say at today's follow up appt.

Helpful?

Best of luck,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Doesn't sound like DCI. Maybe feeling sick has something to do with that wonderful Mexican water. I was there last year and forgot and just used the tap water to brush my teeth. It made me sick for 2 or 3 days. It doesnt take much.

Thanks for the detailed posts all.

She has continued to feel fine all day, we revisited the doc and he performed a variety of coordination, reflex, and strength tests and said that she showed none of the signs that concerned him yesterday evening. He seemed to agree that the likely culprit was dehydration, excessive heat, or some combination of other (aforementioned) factors.

We plan on doing a few shallower dives during the reminder of the trip, so I'll comment again if any other symptoms manifest.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom