DCS or hypochondria?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I think I already know the answer to this but I can't get it off my mind and thought I would post anyway as I'm a new diver and a bit of a hypochondriac sometimes.

6 days ago I went diving in the Bahamas while on a cruise. I get to the dive site, they get us all on the boat and tell us we will make our first dive to a max of 50 feet for 40 mins. Did not have computer on me as I decided to go last minute, so I decide to stay close to the divemaster as that would probably be safest route. I get out there, get excited by looking at stuff, and although we stayed at 40-50ft for most of the dive, at some point we did reach 60ft. 3 minute stop at 15 feet and then surface. 40 minute surface interval and we are back in the water, this time the limit is 60 feet and 40 minutes but we did reach close to 70 feet although 90 percent of the time I was at 55, just swam down because the divemaster was pointing out an eel to everyone. My fault for not monitoring my depth more carefully and just assuming that I would be ok by staying with the divemaster, but can't change that now. Another 3 minute stop and we are on the surface and everyone is happy.

I check my divetables when I get back on the cruise ship, and find that using deepest depth and a square profile we have gone past the no decompression limits on those dives. Am paranoid for about 24 hours but rationalize that it probably would have been fine with a computer accounting for the more shallow depth I spend most of my time at. No symptoms other than a few aches and pains in joints that already give me trouble so I decide not to worry about it.

3 days after the dive, I am riding in the car back home and my arm starts tingling and goes numb down the back of my arm and into my pinky and ring fingers. I call DAN and they tell me it is most likely not dive related, which I figured based on the timeline. Decided I just slept wrong on the 10 hour car ride and pinched a nerve. Called my chiropractor and he agreed and got me an appointment for later this week. Dove some more this weekend (max depth 45 feet, used computer, did not come close to NDL. Today my leg gets a tingling feeling in it and feels a little but numb down the back of it and in the foot while sitting on the couch.

I have 2 questions. First, how dangerous was the first dive that I did as far as DCS risk goes? Even though using the dive tables I clearly went over the limit, the rep at DAN didn't seem concerned about the risk for DCS for that kind of dive especially since the numbness occurred way outside of the normal window.

Second, is there a reasonable chance that my symptoms could be DCS related? Doesn't seem likely to me based on the delayed appearance of the numb arm (which is still numb) and the shallow dives yesterday, but it also seems very odd do have this happen to my arm and leg 3 days apart from each other. Could there have been some initial damage from the first dive that would have been aggravated by diving the shallow dives I did this weekend?

Am 25, female, and in good physical other than some neck and shoulder problems I've been seeing a chiropractor for, which also makes me suspect perhaps a pinched nerve instead of DCS. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hello Seaturtle5:

As you have been told, it is probably not DCS. The time of appearance does not correspond to DCS. Dive tables have considerable safety time built into them. This is true also of computers which are derived from tables. I doubt that your earlier dives produced problems that could be aggravated by later dives.

Many times, these "DCS problems" can be traced to nerve compression from the straps supporting the air tanks. They are not bubble related at all. You are certainly not a hypochondriac to inquire - and yours is hardly the first question of this nature.:confused: It is always better to ask than to repent in leisure.

All the best in future dives.:wink:

you're not getting bent from those dive profiles, hate to break to it you, but it isn't going to happen. Odds are you have some inflammation somewhere or are dehydrated and it is causing the numbness. Numb arm in car=likely pinched nerve in shoulder from the position you were in. Numb leg on the couch, likely pinched nerve in your hip from sitting on it wrong.

DCS that presents itself neurologically is relatively rare, IF you had DCS from those dive profiles it would have likely presented itself as skin bends in the form of a rash, or it more likely isolated bubbles in your major joints. Neurological DCS just doesn't show up in recreational diving profiles except in very rare incidences but there is usually something else going on at the same time. You could have done 6 of those dives that day and likely never seen any DCS issues, certainly not neurological.

Good argument for bringing a dive computer you know and understand with you. Takes almost no space. If you decide to dive you have it. Less worry afterwards besides adding some safety.

I'm not a doctor, just a person who suffers from disc disease. Sounds like pinched nerves. How much weight were you carrying on your body including tank, bc, weights, etc? Are you careful on how you stand up and move fully loaded on the surface?

Reggie in Midland, NC

I can't remember the precise numbers, but the vast majority of DCS cases present in the first 8 hours, and a small additional number in the subsequent 12. DCS onset after 24 hours is extremely unusual.

But it is true that the majority of DCS in recreational divers IS neurologic. This may be because much of it is associated with poorly controlled ascents and possibly a component of embolism, which is almost always neurologic.

This story, with a relatively non-provocative initial set of dives, and delayed onset of localized symptoms which then move, is not highly suggestive of DCS at all. However, it's not terribly suggested of disc disease, either, where symptoms tend to be localized to one, or maybe two adjacent dermatomes. It's a strange story, and if you continue to experience symptoms in varied locations, I would definitely seek medical care and get this worked up.

Lynne, touche, I don't usually consider the localized numbness or tingling with neurologic and my brain categorizes that into type 2, and in the case of AGE, the bubbles are low on the priority list compared to the rest of the issues they're going to contend with due to the embolism. Combine that with some 90% of DCS incidents being localized joint pain, that will usually present with some sort of tingling/numbness around that joint, I think of it differently.

To the OP, according to the Navy 98% of DCS will present itself within 24 hours, the rest within 48, any longer than that and any new issues are considered unrelated to DCS. Might be another issue from diving, but it's not bubbles.

The nature of DCS brings divers to the nexus of hypochondria and denial....

True stories:

---A diver on a day charter does three dives and reports tingling in the lower extremities the next day. After two inconclusive chamber treatments, they are subsequently diagnosed days later with some type of back/disc issue.

---Minimum wage tank monkey gets a call at the local dive store (I can use the term 'tank monkey' because I use to be one). The caller asks, "What are the symptoms of DCS?"
"uh... well dude, I think it's like tingling and pain and stuff like that. Dude, maybe you should call a doctor... or maybe call these 'DAN' people."
We got word through the grapevine days later that the caller fell down paralyzed with DCS a few hours after talking to the tank monkey. Maybe DAN should have been his first call.

---Spearfisherman reports, "Yeah, I got bent once. It really sucked. I was able to resolve the symptoms in the water on the second dive."

DCS is diagnosed by ruling a bunch of stuff out and sometimes it's tough even for doctors to positively identify DCS. We have to count on our awareness and education to make the call and err on the side of safety.

A few days after diving, I can find myself having aches and pains but I've come to the conclusion, they are related to hauling my heavy luggage around.

If the numbness and tingling continues (all on same side?), or returns, definitely see your doctor but not because of decompression issues from diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom