DCS or tight drysuit wrist seals and cold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Dear Dr. Deco: Not that I don't trust DAN and my personal physician, but I have a trip to Bonaire in 5 weeks, and I need to know I'm good to go physically. Looking for your advice and to share this with others. The scenario:

Two dives on air in Lake Michigan, last dive ended 29 hours ago. Drysuit with neoprene neck seal and latex wrist seals. Wet gloves (5mm) and 5 mm hood. The wrist seals are very tight. Water temp a bone-chilling 39 degrees F at depth (about 65 F above 20'). I believe I was properly hydrated. Took 1/2 Dramamine for motion sickness. Excellent health, 49 year old male.

First dive for 39 minutes to 69 feet max, most above 60 feet. Four minute safety stop at 15 feet. Hands got very cold and somewhat numb while under. One hour 39 minute surface interval. Hands warmed, but were still a bit numb during this time.

Dive 2 was for 30 minutes to max depth of 77' for a very brief period, most spent at 60 feet or above. Two minute stop at 35' and 1 minute at 20' and 3 minutes at 15'. Hands got cold again, of course.

After returning home 4 hours after surfacing, my hands were warm and functional, but I had loss of sensation, primarily on the tops of both hands, mostly left hand. No pain. Very slight tingling at times. I also feel generally wiped out, but that sometimes happens to me after diving. Called DAN upon returning home. Doc suggested that the numbing issue was cold related and to apply warm compresses or soak in warm water. Did not help.

Next morning, (this morning) 20 hours post-dive, tops of hands still have loss of sensation and slight tingle at times. Tingle/numbness radiates up left forearm to elbow. No pain or other symptoms. Saw my primary care physician (a sports med doc) late this morning. He is a diver, but does not have much experience with dive medicine. He did some sensitivity tests. He suggested that the symptoms were a result of a combination of tight wrist seals causing compression of the nerves in the wrist, combined with very cold water. He diagosed neuritis (aka peripheral neuropathy) and said it was very unlikely to be DCS since no pain was evident. He said the nerves were abused and it may take several days for sensation to return and tingling to stop. This type of trauma may cause tingling to radiate in both directions along nerve fibers.

However, being the thorough guy that I am when it comes to serious stuff like health, and having read reports of minor DCS manifesting itself in ways that include numbness and tingling of extremities, I thought I'd try for a third opinion and suggested course of action.

Thanks for your insight.

Hi AquaBadger:

With the gas loadings you describe, I would not suspect DCS. Problems described by you are often associated the compression of nerves from the straps holding the tanks. The cold water could as well contribute to your trouble.

It is always good for divers to have a high index of suspicion, but remember that many people have arm and legs problems and have never gone diving in their life.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom