Deal on used aluminum tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THRILLSEEKER

Reaction score
A local dive shop is going out of business and is selling all of their aluminum 80s.

The tanks are supposedly all about 10 years old, current hydro and VTI, and come filled for $80 bucks.

Is this a deal or should I pass, Ive read all the hoopla about the pre 87 Luxfer tanks, where do I look on the tank to find the original date of mfg??

I would say that it is a reasonable deal. The date is on the shoulder of the cylinder (something that is explained in the OW course). You are looking for the hydro date which should be should like 2*96, where the * is a symbol for the hydro shop.

As long as they are not much older than 10 years, with a newer hydro and a Good Valve that price is good. If it might need a new valve, then its not quite as good. As far as dating on the tanks, the lower line should have some Numers on it usually like 01A97 or something like that depending on manufacturer. there might be other stamps on the neck of the tank with similar dates, the one that is in the second line of the DOT stamp is the one you want. If the tank is in need of a Hydro in the next 2 years, I would offer less...

$80 bucks is a decent price, but $50 is more like it for a tank that's been cycled (filled/used) as many times as rental/class tanks have. But $80 is not too bad.

Like the above poster said, if the tank only has 2 or less years left in the hydro, offer less than $80.

new tank for 80 bucks, its a good deal

I personally think if your not diving alot its probobly cheaper to rent tanks, i figure about 60 dives is a point were you would buy tanks.

but its a big step in becoming a serious diver to own your tanks and helps your street cred.

Jumbo

For a new tank Here is the figure....My LDS charges $5 more for a rental than an airfill....So...they charge me $200 (its close to that so this keeps it even) so 40 Dives and i have paid for a new tank.....Atually you really need to figure it out over the life of the Hydro....A VIP Costs me $10 (for simplicity) so over the life of 5 years (without any extra parts/charges) before i have to pay for Hydro....It costs me $250. Figuring over 5 years, if i rent a tank more than 10 dives a year for 5 years...I have paid for my tank, and only costs me the $4 a year (over 5 years) for hydro and $10 a year for VIP. or 3 dives a year.

So for a used tank:

Tank $80 + VIP $10 for 2 years=$100. If your LDS costs $5 more than a airfill for a rental, then in 20 dives your tank is paid for or 10 dives a year......If the hydo is less then you need to adjust the price.....Personally.....If they wont budge on the price and you need a Hydro sooner than 2 years, i would spring for the new tank....

New vs used
In December I bought a new 80cuft tank from Sports Chalet for $112.50 w/ VIP and fill
This was using a Black Friday coupon for 25% off a single item of $100 or more.
My LDS does free fills for it's customers & $6 rentals so in 19 fills I'm ahead.
I see used tanks for $75 not from rentals but private (less wear and tear) usually with 2-3 years left on hydro but in need of VIP.
Considering the shortened time to next hydro and wear is it really worth it to purchase used to save a few bux?
Sports Chalet's regular price is $150 if you've taken a class from them in the last 30 days you get 10% off equipment purchases ( a good reason to take a specialty class)
Sign up for specialty of the month is 15% off tuition then get 10% the class materials and your equipment purchase needs for 30 days. all in all a great deal and you get new stuff.

80.00 seems to be about the going rate here in Fl. for used dive shop tanks. Alot of people get old ones from yard sales and pawn shops. I find alot of these to be out of hydro and vip. Get that done for about 35 add 20 for the tank and 80 seems like alot, 50 would be a better deal. Down here you also have to watch, most shops in the Keys will not fill a tank over 10 years old. It stems from the DOT reg on 1990 and older tanks needing a special inspection and stamp from the hydro place with each hydro. (I believe it's 1990 as a cut off date.)

80.00 seems to be about the going rate here in Fl. for used dive shop tanks. Alot of people get old ones from yard sales and pawn shops. I find alot of these to be out of hydro and vip. Get that done for about 35 add 20 for the tank and 80 seems like alot, 50 would be a better deal. Down here you also have to watch, most shops in the Keys will not fill a tank over 10 years old. It stems from the DOT reg on 1990 and older tanks needing a special inspection and stamp from the hydro place with each hydro. (I believe it's 1990 as a cut off date.)

There are NO DOT regulations on a cylinder based on date. The problem is with SLC, Sustained Load Cracking, in the necks of cylinders made out of 6351 alloy aluminum. Luxfer used this alloy up until 1987. A Luxfer from 1988 is fine. However, many shops are refusing to fill anything older than 90, because they don't want to be held liable if anything happens in our modern sue-happy world. Catalina never used the 6351 alloy. Also, there are no DOT regulations condemning these cylinders. There are, I believe, rules requiring them to undergo Eddy Current testing to check for SLC.

Back
Top Bottom