Death at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last year, I dove at Dutch in the cove where large metal pipes run from the surface to the bottom. I was swimming slowly just below the pipe. Suddenly, my head found the pipe support. Ouch!!! I could not see it just above my view. If I had been swimming fast I may have been almost knocked unconscious. If I had a scooter, I would be dead. I would not want to take a scooter to Dutch at night. My head is too important to my survival.

I would not want to take a scooter to Dutch at night. My head is too important to my survival.

You would not use a scooter at night? That's like saying don't use a scooter in a cave. It's not dark if you have proper lights. I think the point has been raised here. Scootering without lights is only marginally dumber than diving without lights.

I'm guessing helmets are popular among scooter using cave divers for the reason I noted above.

I said I would not take a scooter at night, not that cave divers who are practicing should not. I just can't imagine I would see very much at night.

I have over 130 dives at Dutch and have been to every shoreline. I dive with a buddy who swims like a torpedo and we cover a lot of water. I wish he would slow down so I can see something.

Back
Top Bottom