Death by Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just fyi....i don't wear a helmet while diving, so why is this on Scubaboard?

Just fyi....i don't wear a helmet while diving, so why is this on Scubaboard?

TS&M might have kind of started it with this statement;

"We have a saying in the ER: You can't cure stupid."

Thal was the first to mention motorcycles, in a way that begged for a different hilarious yet controversial thread hijack; luckily nobody bit that troll.

Post #42 (not 46)
I started diving diving in 1956, that was the only way to do it then, but I have spent my life seeking out the best, I went to the two best high schools in the country, I went to the best university in the world (at least at that time), I took courses from the most acclaimed divers that I could find, I shipped my gear and rode my motorcycle (Dunstall Norton - second best, only to a Vincent) 2,000 miles to attend the best ITC in the country. That's the way I do things. I guess you're happy to take whatever is available to you, good, bad or indifferent ... down the street, because it too inconvenient, or too afraid, to try and do better.

Post #92
When I passed the MSF course (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) and got my MC license endorsement the instructor made it very, very clear to the class that it wasn't necessarily time to go jump on the freeway, that the license was a license to learn.

Post #97
And yet there are riders going down the road after their BRC wearing a t-shirt/shorts, flip-flops, and sunglasses. Only. I guess it's people thinking "I'm trained. I can ride. What do I need a helmet for, I'll never have an accident." Same mentality comes out of a lot of OW students, they haven't been told that they still "suck" (sorry to sound mean, but we all did coming out of OW). So they go out and push limits and inevitably end up hurt or killed, like that guy in Vortex.

This post where not wearing a helmet evidently resulted in the recent Vortex disapearance was what I posted a rebuttal to.

Do you now feel your not following the conversations has been helpful to said conversations? :idk:

Last edited:
I have to admit I did not wear a helmut while reading this thread ... :shocked2:

I'm so gonna die ... :no:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually the first mention of a helmet was not me and did not come till post #97.

The first mention of a motorcycle was, in fact made by me, but not post #46 but rather post #42. Neither of these two posts was aimed at helmet use. Neither of these two posts began the helmet sidetrack.

I forget who mentioned it, but I heard someone suggest that the way to eliminate meaning auto accidents is to require all vehicles not have seat belts and have a razor sharp spike that sticks out of the steering wheel and points directly at the driver's heart. It is pretty well guaranteed that accidents would go down.

It would sure wake me up.:shocked2: However, for now, I'll just keep the seat belt and airbag.
You all ride careful out there.

You know, I work in an emergency room, which means I see the people who, on land, are the equivalent of people who don't plan dives or don't have the skills to do them, or who do the wrong dive for the wrong reason. On land, those people get hurt, but only some of them die. In the water, the environment is far less forgiving and the stakes are higher.

Short of selective breeding for common sense, I see no way we will ever get rid of deaths through poor judgment or thrill-seeking. But boards like this CAN do a lot to get rid of deaths through simple ignorance. I know that, before Bob posted his gas management article on his website, every time someone mentioned it in a thread, he was inundated by requests for it. So there is interest in learning, and interest in improving safety out there in the diving community.

I give back by volunteering to dive with new divers, and help them sort out their equipment and their skills, and where I can, pass on a little information and a lot of accessible resources. I think there are a lot of us who do things like that. Every little bit helps.

Outlawing remote control garage doors would be a great place to start! lol
Make OW students learn to deploy a SMB, more focus on BC.
Get em' off their arses and do something practical with the hands is what makes commonsense....now days you just don't see Old craft hobbies and sports taken up by the youth of today- like pottery, glass blowing, chip carving, wittling, horse shoes at a peg or traditional archery- things that make you think about your actions, not sitting in front of a monitor learning just theoretical knowledge-know it alls that won't engage in any physical action- obese and fragile freeks.
Risks are mitigated by skills- crawl, walk and then run, but today everyone is an instant expert without doing their sea time~ to much second hand info can create false confidence.......this is the issue of the era.

There is ample evidence that this simply is not true. The safety record of the science community demonstrates that with adequate training and a system of oversight diving fatalities can be virtually eliminated. Now perhaps people are not willing to pay that price to live ... but that's a different question.

Except with the science commmunity example--this IS almost like selective breeding :) .. A more intelligent, though smaller gene pool, with the oversight commitee to make sure common sense is enforced ( since even very bright people can have common sense escape them from time to time).
Another similar example would be the WKPP...

How many during time of an almost euphoric peace, chose to be
unable to continue, at the point inevitably too late to return from

You would think that this would be the case King, but I've seen an awful lot of educated people make the most idiotic mistakes... LOL

+1

Being smart and having common sense are two very different things.

Except with the science commmunity example--this IS almost like selective breeding :) .. A more intelligent, though smaller gene pool, with the oversight commitee to make sure common sense is enforced ( since even very bright people can have common sense escape them from time to time).
Another similar example would be the WKPP...
The WKPP is an excellent example, I always assumed that it was based on an academic diving model, though George (in a war with Gregg) denied it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom