• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Death in Cocos from shark attack

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by BDSC, Nov 30, 2017.

1. BDSC

BDSC Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
  2. drrich2

drrich2 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I agree with some of your points. One thing, I don't assume all sharks involve mistaken identify where the great white mistook the diver for a seal, or the bull shark struck in very turbid water, etc... Sadly, I believe it's possible to get hit in conditions where the viz. is okay, etc...but it's less likely.

I hope we learn whether this was a night dive, or whether there were other, for lack of a better term, 'extenuating circumstances.' But I am open to the possibility the shark just plain attacked. It can happen.

Richard.

3. Satrekker

Satrekker Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Wow. So sad. Condolences to the diver's family and friends. I was just there the last week of August on the Okeanos Aggressor, and the diving was phenomenal. I saw several tiger sharks over the week. The biggest beauty was a 16' pregnant female that swam by me within 20' while I was camping out on the rocks around 110' on Dirty Rock. I literally saw thousands of sharks over the course of 24 dives and never once felt uncomfortable or threatened. I did notice a lack of sea turtles. I think I only saw 2, and I do remember our dm telling us that there weren't that many sea turtles around since the tigers returned a few years ago. Since tigers are known to feed on sea turtles, it does make me wonder about a diminishing food source possibly. <?>

drrich2 likes this.
  4. BDSC

BDSC Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I think it was a day dive and from the link I just posted, it was while they were surfacing or perhaps on the surface which makes sense as it’s my understanding that sharks typically attack from below the prey.

DiveTheGalapagos likes this.
  5. Satrekker

Satrekker Nassau Grouper

That was my thought also.

DiveTheGalapagos likes this.
  6. scubafanatic

scubafanatic Great White

This is so wrong on so many levels! Trolling on a tragedy thread...disgusting!

7. DavBuc

DavBuc Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    That's not trolling it's misplaced humor.

My girlfriend laughs at funerals. She acknowledges that it's a weird response to grief.

Everybody's different when it comes to crises.

8. SaltyPhotos

SaltyPhotos Garibaldi

# of Dives:
  9. outofofficebrb

outofofficebrb Manta Ray

I have quite a wicked sense of humor. If it’s humor, I can’t even see the humor in it. It comes across as a serious post.

10. scubafanatic

scubafanatic Great White

...hey, have ya heard the one about the rabbi and the crematorium ? Since we're keepin' things here so light hearted an' all.