Death of A.C. Clarke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I met him when the oceanographic ship I worked on did a port call in Sri Lanka. He came down and visited. He had some trouble talking and his aide kind of translated, a really interesting guy. He as interested in what we were doing. I got a paperback copy of one of his books autographed. This was in 1995.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Threads merged.

I think the very first piece of sf I ever read was by Clarke . . . A story or novelette called "A Fall of Moondust",

That story was also one of my first SF reads. In the 70's and 80's I read and re-read every AC book and story. My favorite was RAMA (the first one. The others in the series were OK). The last one of his books I read (can't remember the name) was the one about the space elevator.

His most memorable quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I recall his short story The Sentinel, years later expanded to the book/movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. When the movie came out, my sister and I sat through it three consecutive showings (you could do that in those days).

A true visionary. RIP.

If you can find it, "Tales from the White Hart" is one of the best SF-humor collections (all his short stories) I've ever read.

-S

i probably read multiple times over every single one of his books when i was in high school.

i normally don't get upset about passings reported in the news media, but this one blows...

something about him always seemed very cool outside of his writing, including the retiring to sri lanka and doing oceanographic studying...

Another one riveted by his writing and ideas. I read a ton of SF from 10 to 15 years of age, and remember reading The Sentinel. I was in Glasgow with my parents when 2001 A Space Odessy
hit the screen, and I convinced my parents to see it with me. Naturally, they didn't get it, and I had to explain the plot once it moved from the spaceship to hyperspace....

Thanks, Arthur C. Clarke for all your ideas and words.

And thanks, Wardric, for posting this.

Musics of Richard Strauss and Johann Strauss and György Ligeti for 2001: A Space Odessey are unforgettable!

Back
Top Bottom