Death of a very famous Free Diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a site that gives an account with many more details now:
http://medlem.spray.se/nordicapnea/Dykdagbok/dagbok21002-/dagbok21015.html
unfortunately it's in Swedish. Anyone here from Sweden?

From a translation I read of the technical details, it sounds like she had trouble with the lift bag and sled, taking far too long to ascend. She blacked out at 3:50 into the dive at 120 m and a safety diver caught her at 124 m and brought her up to 90 m. Pipin descended on scuba and retrieved her at 90 m, total submersion time 8:38.

Ralph

Your right, I am not very sympathetic for what happened. My previous posts may sound harsh, but I'm just calling it as I see it. Its like the parachutist whos parachute doesn't open. You know what, thats tough crap...your the one who made the decision to jump out of an airplane. I respect human life, but when people knowingly put themselves in a dangerous situation and then perish, I can't feel sorry for them. It all goes with the territory and the sport. If there wasn't a risk from free diving then she wouldn't of being doing it. Its called adrenaline .

Some of you really don't like the way I look at this and thats fine, but look at what she was doing....this wasn't a car ride to the store, this was a very dangerous feat to accomplish and she paid the price.

Also, freediver, why do you keep making an analogy to driving? Everything we do involves taking risks, I understand the point you are trying to make about risks, but comparing driving a car to free diving down 500+ feet is not a very good analogy.

She died doing what she loved to do.....is that really a tragedy?

jepuskar once bubbled...
Also, freediver, why do you keep making an analogy to driving? Everything we do involves taking risks, I understand the point you are trying to make about risks, but comparing driving a car to free driving down 500+ feet is not a very good analogy.

Scuba diving to 500 feet is safer than freediving to 500 feet.

There are many more people scuba diving to 500 than there are freediving.

I think there can be a direct analogy. to most any sport

say freediving to 500ft equals scuba diving to 1000 feet
or winning the indi 500, or sky diving from 50,000 feet
or being the first person to climb Mt. Everest. etc. etc.

the risks are about equal in the likely hood of some sort of failure or death, however the mechanism may be different in each of these events. also each of these events there are only one or two people in the world capable of acheving the task successfully

jepuskar once bubbled...
this wasn't a car ride to the store, this was a very dangerous feat to accomplish and she paid the price.

but comparing driving a car to free diving down 500+ feet is not a very good analogy.

Obviously you have never driven in Atlanta traffic! :wink:

Question: Why is a free diver exempt form needing any deco stops when going that deep - and, they MUST have to equalize their ears on the way down, right?

?

Scuba446,
deco stops are not necessary for freedivers because of the short time they are at depth and also because they are not breathing air or a mix under pressure. A freediver can get bent but it has to be some very aggressive freediving, ie., very short surface intervals and deep depths.

Yes, they must equalize the ears, and mask if they're wearing one. The deepest freedivers have mastered a technique to fill their sinuses and eustacheon tubes with water to prevent barotrauma.

jepuskar once bubbled...
She died doing what she loved to do.....is that really a tragedy? [/B]

Uhhhhh, to most of the human population, yes.
Also, I looked at my previous posts and only found one that regards an analogy to driving. Go ahead and maintain your viewpoint Jepuskar, I bow out, I'm not up for a pissing contest.

jepuskar once bubbled...
She died doing what she loved to do.....is that really a tragedy?

I LOVE eating cheese. (Sorry I am from Wisconsin, it is kinda bred into me) If I died by choking on a slice of suculant smoked swiss, I would consider that a tragedy. I died doing what I loved, so i guess you wouldn't.

Would you feel better if, refering to my joke above, we considered it a "great loss"? :wink:

AquaTec once bubbled...
Apples and Oranges

Freediving to 100 feet is the same as scuba diving to 100 feet

Freediving to 500 feet is a dangerouse as scuba diving to 500 feet

Freediving to 500 feet can not be compared to recreational diving, but you can pretty well draw a stright line across any depth, with the risks being simular.

you could probable even say that the scuba diver is at a higher danger in a freediving competitions because they are spending more time in the water

yeah......and in times of an emergency.....the scuba diver has to decide to immediately ascent(if the free diver is still concious) and risk DCS if ascent immediately.

well,i dont know......but i feel its too dangerous in free-diving,not only to yourself, but to the safety scuba divers as well.....

i dont know much abt free-diving,but that's just what i personally feel, with all respect to the deceased........

TigerShark once bubbled...

yeah......and in times of an emergency.....the scuba diver has to decide to immediately ascent(if the free diver is still concious) and risk DCS if ascent immediately.

well,i dont know......but i feel its too dangerous in free-diving,not only to yourself, but to the safety scuba divers as well.....

i dont know much abt free-diving,but that's just what i personally feel, with all respect to the deceased........

just to repeat what i posted just a little further up the thread
In regards to her taking a breath off a support diver.

If she had profetional support divers with proper training, which i am sure she did considering who she was and what she was attempting.

If a freediver takes a breath of a reg, it is the support divers job and responsability to grab on to the freediver and not let them make a direct ascent to the surface.

the support diver ascend to his first deco stop and passes off the freediver to the next support diver at that depth, this continues until the freediver reaches the surface.

I do not know this girl, but i do know that many freedivers do not know the rules of scuba diving such as not to hold your breath, that is why all support diver training strongly emphasises the above technique

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom