Deaths at Eagles Nest - Homosassa FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WHY:confused:

Why should the state allow only a small segment of its population access to that tax payer supported facility and prohibit others from using it?

Without clear and compelling reason, I believe the site should be open to all.

I don't mean this in any snarky way, but I'd have to say I see a BIG problem with making this statement about a site that EVERY cave certified diver and instructor contributing here has written clear and easily understood warnings about, and where two untrained divers just perished.

Were those two deaths not "clear and compelling" enough?

"Clear and compelling reasons" have been given on literally every page of this thread. Please don't take that attitude to a dive site that causes you to add to the sad side of statistics. :-(

I'm sure if enough of you feel strongly about it and petition the State of Florida to take action, you may well be successful. Of course, you may also make Mr Spivey's father very happy.

Hey, if pilots can do it, why can't we?

[video=youtube;jJT_CACIZqs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJT_CACIZqs[/video]

Stated and answered... DAYS AGO! I will try and find my post in this thread, but the point is, there is absolutely no evidence anyone knew there was an uncertified 15 year-old behind the cave atlas posts. See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...s-eagles-nest-homosassa-fl-9.html#post6988226

Where is that dead horse icon??????

So, if the diver is 50 instead of 15 diving that deep in a cave on Air does it make it any better?

You have an incompetent adult instead of an incompetent minor diving a cave.

Unfortunately, we had an incompetent adult taking an incompetent minor to dive in a cave deep on Air and it was not a surprise to B. that he was called to recover the body of at least one of the two dead incompetent divers.

Thanks for sharing the video. I know that cave diving will never be a thing I have to do.

---------- Post added December 30th, 2013 at 07:07 PM ----------

Here's a good video report about Eagle's Nest by 10 News in Tampa with help from Becky / Liquid Productions - for those who want to know more about this cave, including the inherent dangers.

Underwater cave Eagle's Nest video | wtsp.com

Thank you for this video. I am glad I got to watch some of it but I can safely say that cave diving will not be something that I have to do.

For the record, how much would it cost for the training to become a cave diver skilled enough to dive Eagles Nest? And how much would a full compliment of gear cost?

For the record, how much would it cost for the training to become a cave diver skilled enough to dive Eagles Nest? And how much would a full compliment of gear cost?

From what level, open water?

Depends but I would not say that five to ten grand would be outrageous depending on instructor, gear, gasses, etc. Plus the time.
Advanced Nitrox/Deco procedures 600.00
Advanced Trimix 1200.00
cavern/intro 600.00
Apprentice cave 600.00
Cave 800.00
Technical Cave 800.00 - 1000.00
BTW these prices don't normally include fills, at least for trimix, and one trimix fill could be a hundred bucks or so. Easily.

So there's almost 4 grand there give or take.

Then gear. Could likely get in enough gear for another 3-5 grand or so. Including multiple double sets, regs, stages, analyzers, reels, spools, lights, etc..

Most of this is a WAG by the way but based on research I did at one time probably not too far off.

Training is the most variable as you have different agencies whose courses mix and match in different ways.

---------- Post added December 30th, 2013 at 08:30 PM ----------

Wow from OW? with me OW is 395 now, AOW 375.00, Rescue 185.00, Intro to Tech 425.00 and then a bunch of dives. Then you'd need to find a cave instructor as stated above for the rest. Gear is going to be the same but spread out over a while and if you tell me you want to do caves or advanced wrecks we'll start you off on the gear path leading to that. BPW, long hose, dry suit, tech fins, good lights. NO Poodle jackets, DIN regs not yoke, and gear that will grow with you and you won't have to replace it unless you break it.

I am also from chi twn Doing tmix training with an instructor 12/08/2013 at Eagles Nest, I learned even before you enter the downstream or upstream tunnel, the big room starts at about 110 feet. The space is intimidating. I ran a jump line from the gold line at 160ft deep. Holding at 160ft I ran my spool out 100ft to the wall. I was not being very careful with the spool, until I turned around and tried to see the gold line and the surface opening. When I realized the lifeline I had was the spool in hand, I made sure it was secure. The room is huge and deep. You can drop down to 200 feet or up to 110 feet and 1000 feet around and still not be at the exit to the surface. My cave lite only lit up a small spot and the darkness absorbed all the lite. It would be very easy to get lost. The odds are if you’re untrained you are going to die. Even being a trained cave diver, Eagles Nest is different. Even cave divers should start with a guide or minimum someone with a lot of experience at EN before you dive there.

who are very experienced open water divers with zero cave experience. A good cave diving friend mentioned some of what you wrote and why he hasn't tackled Eagle's Nest. Strong lights work really well when you are in small space where your beam hits a wall. The vast rooms of this cave...not so much. Light disappears in a few feet. Scary. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom