Debating Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upton75

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this in. I am debating cameras and i know they are two different animals. I am looking into buying the Sealife DC1400 and the Gopro camera. I would like to get a little of both video and stills. I am just curious as to what the best option would be. The pluses and minuses to both would be.

thanks

Upon, I'm a photo newbie (and the instigator of the RAW vs. JPEG debate taking place elsewhere on this forum) but I've used both the DC1200 and the GoPro. They're basically different animals. The GoPro is a fantastic small, rugged camera that's incredibly easy to tote around in the pocket of your BC. It shoots incredible video. But without external lighting, it's really only useful in 25' or less of water - everything gets washed out beneath that. Still, I got some great videos from it on shallow dives, and decent stills - although the lack of a zoom also limits it.

The Sealife I found easy to use. The piano keys are especIally helpful if you dot know much. I dove with in Saba, using the Sealife strobe they package it with, and after I learned my through the noobie mistakes, I got she terrific shots - I posted a few in the thread on "RAW vs. JPEG: The Cost Factor."

Another difference: With the GoPro, you pretty much absolutely have to buy the external monitor plug-on, otherwise you won't be able to see what you're shooting. Even then, it's hard to see. The Sealife, by contrast, has an easy to see viewer.

Bottom line, the GoPro is a terrific little video camera, with good battery life, but only in shallow water unless you get a strobe. The Sealife with strobe appears to be a much more forgiving still camera.

Rule of thumb is that despite both video and photo cameras can shoot both still and video, a photo camera will take better stills and a video camera will take better video. Its just a result of what theire designed for..

Rule of thumb is that despite both video and photo cameras can shoot both still and video, a photo camera will take better stills and a video camera will take better video. Its just a result of what theire designed for..

that's only if you compare photo and video camera of comparable category. The gopro has absolutely no function, no UW mode, no WB, no working lens, no viewfinder, no zooming in capability. It h

As for the DC1400, it is not a dedicated photo camera, but has enough video feature to satisfy most video enthusiast (720p). It has zoom lens with max 26mm, manual white balance, image stabalization (something the gopro needs given how jittery many of those above water shots are).

Back
Top Bottom