Decent internet in cave country?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have to have that fast of WiFi then stay in Gainesville. But then you’ll have to drive more. The reality is that I know of many people that work in IT and other fields that do just fine with the WiFi limitations you find in cave country or Mexico. Is 100mbps a requirement of your job or just a nicety? Sounds like a nicety. So you have to make the choice to either stay at home amd have fast WiFi or get some dive time. The bigger issue should be corona. I wish more people wouldn’t travel down here to dive until their vaccinated or corona is over. Florida is a hotbed of infections but people still come down here and in cave country mask wearing and social distancing iis barely a thing compared to even here outside of tampa.

Do you really need 100 Mbs? At home my internet actual speed is appr. 50 Mbps and I have many good quality video calls. Also, all my company's documents are in cloud and have to be accessed via internet. I did not notice any interruptions. If you are not doing video calls maybe you do not need so super fast internet?

If you have to have that fast of WiFi then stay in Gainesville. But then you’ll have to drive more. The reality is that I know of many people that work in IT and other fields that do just fine with the WiFi limitations you find in cave country or Mexico. Is 100mbps a requirement of your job or just a nicety? Sounds like a nicety. So you have to make the choice to either stay at home amd have fast WiFi or get some dive time. The bigger issue should be corona. I wish more people wouldn’t travel down here to dive until their vaccinated or corona is over. Florida is a hotbed of infections but people still come down here and in cave country mask wearing and social distancing iis barely a thing compared to even here outside of tampa.

I've been all over the Midwest since last May - Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, as well as diving here in IL. I've spent a fair bit of time up in Wisconsin, which has a much higher positivity rate than IL. Yes, I actually wear a mask unless outside at a dive site distanced from people.

I've never done internet speeds between the 25mbps and the 100 for the job. It does have a lot of data for downloads/uploads and for transmissions to US Customs.

There's a holiday inn in live oak. It might be worth calling them to see what their internet speeds are.

ATT cell/data coverage was spotty at best.

You'd love our ATT DSL out in the woods of Micanopy! I hear things will get better with 5G. There's no cable or fiber-optic in our neighborhood. I like old fashioned things but sometimes the buffering/waiting time tries even my patience.

Internet here is slow--when I get 65 down I am ecstatic. 15 up is the norm. Outages are almost daily, 15 minutes or so. I use WiFi calling because 2 bars on Verizon is the norm.....

Country Life...

I live in High Springs, and have about the same results.

Video call can actually be real work.

From talking with friends, it seems like they waste a great deal of time on useless video calls.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom