Decent internet in cave country?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the input. I’ve gotten some specific recommendations from folks who’ve worked there and seems like I’d be OK.

I doubt you'll get it close to Peacock. Lake City is probably the only place you'll get speeds that fast. I was WFH on New Years Eve out of the Rum House on a remote desktop connection and it wa sfine, but I don't think I'd want to do a lot of video calls on there

Yeah, go to Lake City because we don't have any internet access in Gainesville or Alachua. All of our data transfer is through TCP/IP over carrier pigeon (RFC 2549, RFC 2549 - IP over Avian Carriers with Quality of Service). :p

Yeah, go to Lake City because we don't have any internet access in Gainesville or Alachua. All of our data transfer is through TCP/IP over carrier pigeon (RFC 2549, RFC 2549 - IP over Avian Carriers with Quality of Service). :p

I was going with "close to Peacock" and while Lake City is ~45mins away, Gainesville is almost double that.

True, but Gainesville and Alachua is closer to Ginnie and everything will likely be blown in 2-3 weeks.

that is sadly true, though the caves could certainly use some R&R.

@Marie13 don't discount Marianna as well since the Mill Pond is back to normal levels right now if/when everything blows out.

that is sadly true, though the caves could certainly use some R&R.

@Marie13 don't discount Marianna as well since the Mill Pond is back to normal levels right now if/when everything blows out.

I likely wouldn’t be coming down for at least several months, maybe not until the fall.

Does anyone in Cave Country know folks who work on the High Springs city/town council? I'd be happy to get them in touch with the USDA Rural Development Office in Gainesville. That way, talks could start on ReConnect and Broadband projects in 2021 if they have not been discussed.

1) When did hell freeze over??? @Marie13 going to a place that is "warm" with clear water ... :p

2) on a more serious note, @Marie13: is it upload or just download speed that you really need? Here home/office Cable internet is like 150-200Mbps Down but only 5-6Mbps up.

Well, at least it’s freshwater and on the border between cool and warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom