Deciding on gear and whether to get it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alrighty, guys....I got my gear in on Friday. Unfortunately, a brain fart kept ALL of the right gear from getting ordered. However, all I'm missing is the wing and everything that comes with it....namely the inflator, sex screws, and cam bands.

So, I'm assembling the Backplate/Harness and can NOT get a good setup. Every time I put it on, the handle goes right across my belly button. Is this normal, or should it be situated closer to my waist? I've tried like 8 different combinations and am at the end of my patience. Is it normal for my waist band to ride that high? If not, how can I fix it? I followed this guide and still didn't get much, mostly since my harness is more complicated than just pure webbing.

Last edited:
Not handle, buckle. And I'll post pictures in a few. About the combinations....just D-ring and belt slide locations.

So, I'm assembling the Backplate/Harness and can NOT get a good setup. Every time I put it on, the handle goes right across my belly button. Is this normal, or should it be situated closer to my waist? I've tried like 8 different combinations and am at the end of my patience. Is it normal for my waist band to ride that high? If not, how can I fix it? I followed this guide and still didn't get much, mostly since my harness is more complicated than just pure webbing.
As Bubble said, I think pictures would help. But, as I interpret your question, you think the waist strap is a bit higher than it should be. I am not so sure (yet) that is the case, at least based on your discussion.

You mentioned your height in an earlier post (6' 6"), so you are a tall diver to begin with. If you happen to have a particulartly long torso, that could also affect the ultimate position of the waist strap, relative to the navel.

Yes, the waist strap should not be too high. But, having the buckle rest around the area of the navel is not altogether uncommon. In fact, if you look at the picture in the link you posted, that is pretty much much the case. Note that the waist strap is above his waist, with the waist defined as the postion of his belt.

I presume that what you have been trying to do (with the 8 combinations) is loosen / lengthen the shoulder straps enough to bring the backplate down on your back, and consequently the waist stap down as well. That is not unreasonable, except that if you lengthen the shoulder straps too much, you will have a BP rig that will shift positions easily in the water. So, you have the strike a balance between the lenght of the straps and the desired snugness of fit.

I presume that you have already adjusted (shortened) the length of the crotch strap, to ensure that it is a snug fit. Once you post some pictures, people on SB may be in a better popsition to answer the initial question. 'Is this normal?'

And, even though we on SB are, of course, galactic experts from afar in everything related to diving, since you ordered the Hollis rig through the LDS, they should also be a resource for you in adjsting the fit. :)

Alright, guys...I talked to my room mate (a dive buddy) who's been diving BP/W for a year to look at my setup and he said it looks alright. I'm going to be doing a Discover Scuba Diving course with the LDS to get a pool dive on my setup and at least try it out. However, I have to wait for my wing to get in before that happens. I'll add pictures before the night's over....but I think the only adjustment I need to make is to slide the pads down. I've only got 3" or so between the plate and the belt slide to hold the top of the pad in place.

EDIT: Also, sorry for the lack of pictures to day. It snowed today, and we were all enjoying that.

Alrighty, guys....I got my gear in on Friday. Unfortunately, a brain fart kept ALL of the right gear from getting ordered. However, all I'm missing is the wing and everything that comes with it....namely the inflator, sex screws, and cam bands.

If you look at the images in that link, you'll see the waist belt rides near the waist, IE a male's belly button (ish). Different for a woman. I'm also confused about the 8 different combinations as any harness should basically be 4 points on the plate and one at your waist. I guess 5 points on the plate if you count the crotch strap.

D-rings and such I just move around per whatever I'm wearing on a particular dive. If I have two lights, I wear one on each shoulder strap and the d-rings ride higher. Waist d-rings go close to the plate on my rig... The crotch strap d-ring (scooter ring???) is pretty much always in the same place, ~4 inches below my waist belt.

Sorry, I meant exactly where the D-rings were and the belt slides were. The problems were more specifically where to place the limits for the shoulder pads, and how to attach the quick-releases to the shoulder straps. Since I'm 6'6", I decided to (on the recommendation of my LDS) lower the backplate on my back so I could place the straps closer to my navel/hips/waist instead of 4" or so above my navel. When it comes to D-Rings, I've reduced the number that I'm using. I'm now using one on each shoulder, one on each hip, the DPV ring on the crotch-strap, and a D-Ring on the crotch-strap near my butt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom