Deco on Dives in Coz? Educate Me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my experience all dive computers are almost the same. There are a few out there that are on two different extreme ends from conservative to liberal. When looking at the two most common computers oceanic and sunnto (cobra, viper or newer models) they are very similar.

The time that it takes to clear the deco on a sunnto is usually the time that it takes to lower the nitrogen from the yellow to the green on a oceanic.

The difference is one demands a longer safety stop which if you don't will lock the computer in an error more while the other doesn't but you have surfaced with a considerate amount of nitrogen.

As mentioned previously all dives are deco dives because we always need to make a safety stop. The question is how long of a safety stop. My usual routine is to try and make as smooth as a curved profile as I can, a half stop and then as I work my way shallower I make 3 stops. One at 20 ft for 2 - 3 min, 15 ft 5 min and another 1 min at 10ft with an easy slow ascent.

Now I do this every day so I need to take extra care but at the same time this allows for enough time for others to release more nitrogen before surfacing. Sometimes the most dangerous area is the last 10 to 15 ft while ascending where you want to go extra slow.

How does this work if at that point one buddy suddenly ends up OOA?
:confused:
Save him first;
Beat him later...​
The buddy pair ascent is expedited of course.

:confused:
Save him first;
Beat him later...​
The buddy pair ascent is expedited of course.

Why are you confused? If dive is anywhere close to NDL many agencies advocate 5min safety stop. Obviously if you are inside NDL then you can ascent to the surface omitting safety stop but why increase the risk?

700psi is somewhat little for two in my opinion. Just saying.

like prop joe, i am an old fart using a very conservative suunto. i would guess that it has taken me into deco on about half of my coz dives. no problem. aldora always does slow ascents and just by being with the group, it usually cleans up. on the rare occasions where it did not. i simply let the dm know i still had an obligation and he slowed up.
long long ago when i was a youngster of 60 i once got myself locked out. because i had worked a shop, i felt comfortable changing my own batteries. so i simply took out my battery and put it back in. that reprogramed the computer. however, it is probably one of those don't try this at home things.

Why are you confused? If dive is anywhere close to NDL many agencies advocate 5min safety stop. Obviously if you are inside NDL then you can ascent to the surface omitting safety stop but why increase the risk?

700psi is somewhat little for two in my opinion. Just saying.
Don't run out of air is the primary solution.
If you do, then save him, skipping optional stops if needed, and reevaluate the entire scene. There should be O2 on board if desired.

If you and your bud want to ascend on 1,000, just tell the DM, who is there to lead the dives and suggest plans, but not hold hands, or

If you want to have enough air for a long SS even if one does run out, carry a pony on every dive like I do - expensive, a hassle at every turn, but an extra margin.​

Last edited:
like prop joe, i am an old fart using a very conservative suunto. i would guess that it has taken me into deco on about half of my coz dives. no problem. aldora always does slow ascents and just by being with the group, it usually cleans up. on the rare occasions where it did not. i simply let the dm know i still had an obligation and he slowed up.
long long ago when i was a youngster of 60 i once got myself locked out. because i had worked a shop, i felt comfortable changing my own batteries. so i simply took out my battery and put it back in. that reprogramed the computer. however, it is probably one of those don't try this at home things.
I've also heard of people lowering their computer on a line with a dive weight to fool it into thinking they had done the called-for stops. Once I saw a DM (long ago and who will remain nameless) send his computer up on his buoy line when he was running out of NDL time. All this stuff is, of course, bypassing safety measures that are in place to try to protect you from DCS, and although I wouldn't wish a DCS hit on anyone, if you do something like this and take a hit, you have brought it on yourself. Don't tell DAN what you did, either.

But anyone who owns a computer should know how to change its batteries.

As mentioned previously all dives are deco dives because we always need to make a safety stop.

Not really. All dives are deco dives because all dives involve compression and decompression.

To lighten the mood: When we were down in December, I bought my nephew a Mares Nemo Wide like mine off Ebay. Great deal, great condition and had no dives on it. I bought extra batteries in case, but it said the battery was in good shape. So I thought I was good. Again I strapped it on his wrist and in we went.
This chain of events lead me to the philisophical question: WHY would someone remove the o-ring from the battery compartment of a dive computer and then put the battery back? I mean really, WHY? :idk:

For referance, I dove my oceanic atom 2 into deco last week at 150'. I had no deco obligation at the end of my dive before I got to my safety stop. I still did a long safety stop, I am not a fan of leaving 800 psi in my tank at the end of my safety stop. I prefer to suck it down and deco a little longer.

As has been said all dives are deco dives, however the dive industry has taught the methods i.e. 30 fpm ascents, etc. to keep you out of a deco obligation. What is stated as a No Deco dive is actually a dive with no decompression obligation at the end of the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom