Deco penalties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hemlon:
Having enough air was not a problem. My question was not intended to recall specific issues related to MY dive.

It was to get an idea of how many minutes other divers have had to sit and off-gas.

I know of deco divers who sit and off gas for over an hour! I have never planned a deco dive, however the more I dive, the more I'm tempted! :D

I think the point that others were making is if you did not plan to be doing deco obligations, then it's either a poor planning, poor dive execution, or something must have gone wrong. None of those things are very safe especially if you are not prepared for a deco obligation.

If I dive to over 100 feet, I do a 5 minute deep stop, and a 5 minute SS stop along with a very slow ascent. However those are NOT deco obligations.

TSandM:
I didn't blame it, and I had a Vytec right next to it in gauge mode (the Mosquito doesn't have a gauge mode). And it wasn't the first time I'd made the mistake, but it's not fixable once you get in the water . . . My brain, on the other hand, can switch gears.

I just figured that, since I was running the dive off the Vytec and thinking it through, that having a second gauge that was channelling R2D2 and being ignored didn't make a lot of sense :)

Ahh then I agree! I've also made the forget to set Nitrox mistake, and I don't carry a second computer. It's certainly an easy mistake to make. I do however have a dive watch with BT, current depth, average depth, max depth, and a few other functions. It's a nice backup, ALWAYS in gauge mode, and no alarms!

RonFrank:
I know of deco divers who sit and off gas for over an hour! I have never planned a deco dive, however the more I dive, the more I'm tempted! :D

I think the point that others were making is if you did not plan to be doing deco obligations, then it's either a poor planning, poor dive execution, or something must have gone wrong. None of those things are very safe especially if you are not prepared for a deco obligation.

If I dive to over 100 feet, I do a 5 minute deep stop, and a 5 minute SS stop along with a very slow ascent. However those are NOT deco obligations.

The dives were executed in the exact manner in which they were planned. Nuff said.

An odd question, to me at least... when the plan calls for over an hour in deco, that's what we do. FWIW I think the longest I've ever done was about 110 minutes*, but that wasn't anywhere nearly as long as some much shorter ones in cold water. Or are you asking something more along the lines of "accidental deco?" If that's the question, then the answer is something like 15 minutes on the SUUNTO but well within the Oceanic's NDL (so zero, really).
Rick

* Most of that one was to clear the SUUNTO, which was set for air. The actual schedule for that dive was clear at about 75 minutes run-time, (50 of that in deco) but we had the gas and so another hour on a tropical reef was just fine, thank you :)

Okay . . . So you planned to go into deco. Did you know how much deco you were going to have to do? Did you gas plan for the deco? What software or other dive planning tool did you use to determine how much deco to do and where? Did you have a plan for lost deco gas?

I'm not trying to be nasty. I just don't want people reading a thread like this and thinking it's perfectly fine to dive your computer into deco on a multiple dive day without any training or education or planning to deal with the consequences.

We'll leave aside the question of whether your computer was RIGHT in putting you into deco . . .

Rick Murchison:
An odd question, to me at least... when the plan calls for over an hour in deco, that's what we do. FWIW I think the longest I've ever done was about 110 minutes, but that wasn't anywhere nearly as long as some much shorter ones in cold water. Or are you asking something more along the lines of "accidental deco?" If that's the question, then the answer is something like 15 minutes on the SUUNTO but well within the Oceanic's NDL (so zero, really).
Rick

See above post.

A little over 18 hours.

Oy vay.

I'll say it again. This thread was not intended to pick apart my dives. It was a general question about the amount of time spent off-gassing.

Deco was planned. Deco time was based on Navy air tables. Computer was used for deco count down. Yes, I did have a plan for lost deco gas. Deco was performed using 40% oxygen. Deco time could have been shorted by utilizing accelerated dive tables. However, I decided that using air tables and 40 % oxygen for the deco stops would make the difference for my age. Between dives there was a two hour surface interval. I wear two 100 cubic foot tanks, mix was 28% oxygen, and deco gas is a 40 foot cubic foot tank with 40% oxygen. I have been trained, IANTD, to perform these types of dives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom