Deco penalties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thalassamania:
A little over 18 hours.
HHHaaarrr! Beats me! You do the whole thing in a hard hat, or did they give you a dry spot to sit? :)
Rick

Rec Diver, I wasn't criticizing you. It was pretty clear from your post that these were planned decompression dives.

dhampton82:
wow, what kinda dive was that? :confused:
8 Days long.

Rick Murchison:
HHHaaarrr! Beats me! You do the whole thing in a hard hat, or did they give you a dry spot to sit? :)
Rick
Sitting comfortably in the bunk room, venting the habitat to the surface.

Rec Diver:
I wear two 100 cubic foot tanks, mix was 28% oxygen, and deco gas is a 40 foot cubic foot tank with 40% oxygen. I have been trained, IANTD, to perform these types of dives.
Deco with 40% from 28% bottom mix is totaly unefficient.

RonFrank:
Heh!

Computers are tools, you can't blame them for doing what they are designed to do! :D

You could have used it in gauge mode. Or you could have set it right to begin with! :no

I'm not sure you can suggest a tool is worthless because you fail to use it properly. There are also plenty of computers that allow deco, multi-gas configurations, anything a tech diver would use in a computer that will NOT lock up.

yeah, and if you need to modify your deco due to lost deco gas you'll need to be furiously punching numbers into your computer at the same time.

at some point the problem that lynn had with her computer turns into a UI problem where you're supposed to have your mind on the computer when you should be dealing with the difficulties of the dive at depth, or else the computer becomes useless.

if you had a computer which measured the gas passing through your throat and switched on the fly for you (and it was bulletproof and reliable, unlike current gas sensors) then you'd have a useful dive computer.

As we put our lives in the hands of computers multiple times a day, I'm not sure how some divers get through the day! Think of something as simple as a traffic light, or as complex as a flight navigation system!

Somehow the engineers of the world have recognized that computers can aid people who do critical jobs that could result in life or death in making decisions based on better data collection techniques, and faster number crunching. However there are those divers that seem to be in denial of this. :banghead:

i used to managed 30,000 linux boxes. don't lecture me on the uses of computers.

the big problem is the user interface. the other problem is that i want the capability to tweak and tune the deco algorithm, and i want a computer which does not arbitrarily penalize me for anything (the thing which really annoyed me about the Suunto was the entirely arbitrary punishment factors it threw in for doing reverse profiles).

MonkSeal:
Deco with 40% from 28% bottom mix is totaly unefficient.
But he is trained by IANTD to do these dives...so there.

TSandM:
And it wasn't the first time I'd made the mistake, but it's not fixable once you get in the water
Yeah it is. When you get out and it is annoyed at you, hang it off a fishing line at 6 metres for the prescribed amount of time. No problemo!

Azza:
Yeah it is. When you get out and it is annoyed at you, hang it off a fishing line at 6 metres for the prescribed amount of time. No problemo!
Ba...Just pull out the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom