Deco penalties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rec Diver:
Oh no, not George Irvine! Is he even a doctor? This is the problem with DIR...brain washing. I thought that you might be getting your information from another sourcce rather than form experience and knowledge.

But as we all know if your not Doing It Right, well then you must be doing it wrong. I wonder who was the savior of the diving world before George Irvine?

You know, you can complain about Mr Irvine, or probably any other people from GUE/WKPP that use techniques you might not be familiar with/believe in etc.

However, the fact is that they were the ones that got out there, did the experiments, smashed the boundaries of decompression for long dives at depths that would scare the pants off of most of us, and yes, made mistakes along the way that they learned from (and a lot of us benefit from).

is there some nice chart/algorithm that they came up with that will predict everything for you and stop you getting bent? No, but no one else has a foolproof method either.

There are plenty of people using techniques derived from GI's diving, and diving in a safe manner.

lamont:
i used to managed 30,000 linux boxes. don't lecture me on the uses of computers.
So what?

All you need to so is make sure nothing smells funny and you don't see any flames. :cool:

If you said "Windows 2000", I'd be impressed.

Terry

TSandM:
Well, on our second dive off the boat in Monterey, my computer thought I should spend 20 minutes at 10 feet.

Of course, I'd forgotten to set it for 32%.

I'd been watching my depth meter and timer, and I knew where I really stood. That was the dive where I decided that carrying the computer didn't make any sense. If I was going to ignore what it said anyway, why have it beeping at me? And it was furious when I took it out of the water, and refused to talk to me for two days.

Were you someplace you could have tied the thing off at depth and reeled it back in later (being careful not to reel it in faster than a safe accent rate)? It would have prevented the lock out mode.

Note: If you cheat the computer this way when it really is saving your life, you're accepting the consequences! :no Don't come crying to me!

Azza:
Ahh but if it's suunto you will lose your warranty:D
Buy it from and internet dealer and you don't have to worry. Oops, that is another thread - sorry.

JeffG:
I guess if it was George that wrote that your point might be stronger. But as it is....

I am not really trying to prove a point. I am just trying to relate some actual diving experience.

Dan Gibson:
I guess I should have put some emiticons on my post since you actualy thought I was seriously asking a question. I know what to do and would not need to check my tables as I know the ratio is not 2:1.

Well then if you are so smart then why did you waste your time asking what you thought was a stupid question.

limeyx:
You know, you can complain about Mr Irvine, or probably any other people from GUE/WKPP that use techniques you might not be familiar with/believe in etc.

However, the fact is that they were the ones that got out there, did the experiments, smashed the boundaries of decompression for long dives at depths that would scare the pants off of most of us, and yes, made mistakes along the way that they learned from (and a lot of us benefit from).

is there some nice chart/algorithm that they came up with that will predict everything for you and stop you getting bent? No, but no one else has a foolproof method either.

There are plenty of people using techniques derived from GI's diving, and diving in a safe manner.

I have a lot of respect for George Irvine. However, none of ther decompresion tables / software nor anyone else's would exsist with out the U. S. Navy conducting the research in the first place. If you wish to give credit were credit is do then give it to the people that actually did the diving.

Just to see your response. I was bored.

Rec Diver:
Well then if you are so smart then why did you waste your time asking what you thought was a stupid question.

limeyx:
I think it's fair to say that there is as yet no definitive answer to whether or not O2 is narcotic.

There is one camp that says not, and another camp that says "Maybe, maybe not, but let's split the difference and assume O2 is about as narcotic as N2"

One other benefit of adding He to replace N2 is that it's a smaller molecule and easier to breathe, so you tend to build up less CO2 than if you had N2 (and weighs less so carrying your tanks doesn't hurt so much :)

Also, diving deep with elevated PPO2 will increase your CNS% for the dive, and may (depending on what research/anecdotal evidence you believe) make deco less effective as you've already exposed your lungs/circulatory system to elevated levels of O2.

I tend toward the conservative side and always assume O2 is about as narcotic as N2, try to dive with an average PPO2 of 1.2/1.6 and use generous amounts of helium.

I have never noticed a difference diving nitrox to 100 feet compared with air, but then I haven't really made an attempt at a scientific/blind test.

Let's not assume anything. Make the dives. I have, and I have told you here what I have found. Now you make the dives. But, remember you are going to have to exceed recreational limits.

Rec Diver:
Let's not assume anything. Make the dives. I have, and I have told you here what I have found. Now you make the dives. But, remember you are going to have to exceed recreational limits.
Yep. You have been there and done that.

Dive History:I dive the ship wrecks of the Great Lakes. My only warm water dive was Maui, Hawaii. I prefer to dive the Great Lakes.
Certification History:
I am certified and trained to dive deeper than recreational depths, remain at depth longer than no decompression time limits, dive in overhead environments, and decompress on multiple gas mixtures.
Certification Level:
Master Diver
# of Logged Dives:
100 - 199
Dive Classification:
Technical Diver
Years Certified:
Two Years
Dive Equipment:
Hogarthian

Status
Not open for further replies.