Deco penalties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rec Diver:
Let's not assume anything. Make the dives. I have, and I have told you here what I have found. Now you make the dives. But, remember you are going to have to exceed recreational limits.

Sounds pretty scary. Hope i survive.

You have to make *some* kind of assumption before you jump in the water (hopefully backed up by the best data you have), then you measure, possibly change something (preferrably just one thing), rinse and repeat.

However, I dont feel the need to dive air or 28% nitrox at 150 to see if I feel narced or not when someone else I trust has already done it.(and I have other reasons for not diving them there).

And for sure, huge credit should go to the people that created the navy tables, but I'd like to hope we've also managed to move on somewhat beyond what those original tables were able to give.

limeyx:
Sounds pretty scary. Hope i survive.
I know. Its dark down there....scary stuff.

Gentlemen,

Let us not bicker and argue over whose is longest.............

Instead, let us bicker and argue over decompression, a subject that practically none of us are qualified to discuss at the molecular level, very few of us have any experience with at going 'downtown' with George, very few of us could constructively critique Bruce Weinke's mathematics regarding (or even understand the math published in his Deco Primer), and which offers an endless array of different ways to accomplish the same thing - thereby guaranteeing that there will be no constructive conclusion reachable regarding which way is "best".

Shall we?

:D

Doc Intrepid:
Gentlemen,

Let us not bicker and argue over whose is longest.............

Instead, let us bicker and argue over decompression, a subject that practically none of us are qualified to discuss at the molecular level, very few of us have any experience with at going 'downtown' with George, very few of us could constructively critique Bruce Weinke's mathematics regarding (or even understand the math published in his Deco Primer), and which offers an endless array of different ways to accomplish the same thing - thereby guaranteeing that there will be no constructive conclusion reachable regarding which way is "best".

Shall we?

My intention was not to bicker, but I realize certain messages in this post could be viewed that way :)

I only wanted to point out that there are definitely two camps here, and maybe (probably?) neither is right.

I highly doubt we have found the "best" way yet and indeed, there may not be one. I am happy with the methods and techniques I use, but I accept that others may not choose to accept or use those.

Rec Diver:
I have a lot of respect for George Irvine. However, none of ther decompresion tables / software nor anyone else's would exsist with out the U. S. Navy conducting the research in the first place. If you wish to give credit were credit is do then give it to the people that actually did the diving.
And none of the US Navy tables would have existed without the Royal Navy and Haldane and their research...but so what?
Haldane is outdated, so are the USN Tables, and many other tables. Hell I wouldnt dive the USN tables ever. They are so antiquated they scare the bejesus outa me.

I remember being forced to dive DCIEM tables in Vanuatu while diving the President Coolidge (You had to dive with a guide and follow DCIEM tables-I was younger dumber back then) and doing regular 60 metre dives and the first deco stop was 12 metres. 12 metres!!!!
That scares me and it scares me people are still diving USN tables.

Azza:
And none of the US Navy tables would have existed without the Royal Navy and Haldane and their research...but so what?
Haldane is outdated, so are the USN Tables, and many other tables. Hell I wouldnt dive the USN tables ever. They are so antiquated they scare the bejesus outa me.

I remember being forced to dive DCIEM tables in Vanuatu while diving the President Coolidge (You had to dive with a guide and follow DCIEM tables-I was younger dumber back then) and doing regular 60 metre dives and the first deco stop was 12 metres. 12 metres!!!!
That scares me and it scares me people are still diving USN tables.
I had to learn them to write my TDI exam. Thank god I have a short memory and I've now forgotten them :wink:

Deco has evolved since then and will continue to evolve. Its in the best interest of the diver to stay on top of it.

Rec Diver:
Oh no, not George Irvine! Is he even a doctor? This is the problem with DIR...brain washing. I thought that you might be getting your information from another sourcce rather than form experience and knowledge.

But as we all know if your not Doing It Right, well then you must be doing it wrong. I wonder who was the savior of the diving world before George Irvine?
I didn't notice that GI was author. I was under impression that it was Peter Steinhoff. Maybe you should've read more carefuly. :wink: It's obvious who starts DIR vs non-DIR discussion.

BTW I gave you another clue: Google "oxygen narcosis". But you get caught to GI who wasn't even mentioned. It's realy amazing how people are easily caught in stereotypes.

Doc Intrepid:
Shall we?
Yes. But I believe that starting point should be that decoing from 28% mix (wahtever else this mix contains) with 40% mix (again wahtever else this mix contains) doesn't make sense from efficiency point of view. :D

Azza:

Haladine is not outdated. Most of the computers manufactured today are based on the Haladine tables, check your computer specs. The Navy tables haven't changed in the last twenty years. Even with all the continued testing they have stood the test of time. So what are you afraid of? Use your tables, or computer, and dive the way you want. My point was that Geoerg Irvine and the DIR group did not invent scuba diving, or decompression diving for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom