Deco Proc Course Gear Requirments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deco diving is technical diving, plain & simple. Its DANGEROUS.

According to who?

I know many recreational divers who do DECO diving, have been doing DECO diving for years and they're all still with us... so how dangerous is it?

It is only dangerous if you do not know what you're doing - say like - not knowing how to follow a computer or not knowing how to do tables if that is how you are diving. If you understand basic principles of diving, it is no more or less dangerous than non-deco diving.

As far as the use of "doubles" any redundancy at all is sufficient for Deco diving as long as the total amount of air required for all stops is readily available and a safety margin remains.

Rescue15's configuration seems adequate to me. That is not to say it is appropriate for all "technical" dives, but certainly more than adequate for some.

There is a big difference between extending your bottom time on a wreck in NC at 130 feet and causing yourself to go into a 5 or 10 minute Deco stop... and diving on the Doria.

In the end, the proper configuration for the activity is what matters.

According to who?

I know many recreational divers who do DECO diving, have been doing DECO diving for years and they're all still with us... so how dangerous is it?

It is only dangerous if you do not know what you're doing - say like - not knowing how to follow a computer or not knowing how to do tables if that is how you are diving. If you understand basic principles of diving, it is no more or less dangerous than non-deco diving.

As far as the use of "doubles" any redundancy at all is sufficient for Deco diving as long as the total amount of air required for all stops is readily available and a safety margin remains.

Rescue15's configuration seems adequate to me. That is not to say it is appropriate for all "technical" dives, but certainly more than adequate for some.

There is a big difference between extending your bottom time on a wreck in NC at 130 feet and causing yourself to go into a 5 or 10 minute Deco stop... and diving on the Doria.

In the end, the proper configuration for the activity is what matters.

How does that change the fact that decompression diving is technical diving? Regardless of who does it, it's technical diving. Now you can argue what equipment and training are required, but the industry has pretty uniformly defined two types of recreational diving ... sport and technical. Sport ... diving <= 130' within NDLs and without any physical overhead. Technical ... anything beyond sport.

Oh, please! There are lots of other hobbies more dangerous and with more injuries and fatalities than diving, even when you take into account non-recreational diving. Diving does not need to be uniform across the board. It's a recreation, not a job.

You really need to learn how to read...I said ONE OF THE MOST DANGEROUS not THE MOST DANGEROUS

I have gotten more seriously injured mountain biking than firefighting. Can I infer that firefighting is not dangerous? Never got hurt diving either...still doesn't mean it's not dangerous

Thanks for the support Ken.

What most people on this type of forum can not comprehend is some people out there have a considerable amount of knowledge and a little common sense. I do have a little common sense. I acknowledge the shortcomings of singles and would never attempt a dive on the Doria with my current configuration - nor would I dive it with twin 45's which seem to be a more accepted tec configuration than my single 95 and 30 cu ft pony.

Can we start talking about the necessity of a 7 foot hose on an octopus now?

You really need to learn how to read...I said ONE OF THE MOST DANGEROUS not THE MOST DANGEROUS

No need for personal, petty insults. Maybe you should learn to read and put it to use by reading the TOS here.

My point is scuba diving shouldn't even be categorized in the DANGEROUS category. With the thousands of divers being certified in less than optimal classes every year, there are very few accidents.

I have gotten more seriously injured mountain biking than firefighting. Can I infer that firefighting is not dangerous? Never got hurt diving either...still doesn't mean it's not dangerous

Our definitions of dangerous are obviously very different. I consider the type of diving I do to be slightly dangerous, but still far from one of the most dangerous activities.

My point is scuba diving shouldn't even be categorized in the DANGEROUS category. With the thousands of divers being certified in less than optimal classes every year, there are very few accidents.

Maybe we should do something with the less than optimal classes...maybe start teaching again the things that were taken out of the classes over the last 20 years. There are thousands of Firefighters trained every year and less than 100 deaths a year hation wide. Like I asked before Does that nean Firefighting is not dangerous?

Our definitions of dangerous are obviously very different. I consider the type of diving I do to be slightly dangerous,

Sure you do - you dive in Florida where charters cancel trips when the seas are greater than 1 foot rollers - I dove the Keys in March and the captain and dive master were worried about the severe current - I couldn't even feel any. Diving in FL is much different than where I live and dive. Come and dive the North Atlantic and then let's compare definitions about dangerous.

Maybe we should do something with the less than optimal classes...maybe start teaching again the things that were taken out of the classes over the last 20 years. There are thousands of Firefighters trained every year and less than 100 deaths a year nation wide. Like I asked before Does that mean Firefighting is not dangerous?

Firefighting is just like many other things in life, it is dangerous if you make it so. I have been a carpenter for 20 years now. I wouldn't consider setting a cabinet as dangerous as building a 555' smoke stack. Does that mean that construction isn't dangerous? I'm sure it is just like firefighting, you know when to walk away and say no way. This is no different than diving.

Maybe we should do something with the less than optimal classes...maybe start teaching again the things that were taken out of the classes over the last 20 years. There are thousands of Firefighters trained every year and less than 100 deaths a year hation wide. Like I asked before Does that nean Firefighting is not dangerous?

I am. My students learn to dive and learn to complete their skills midwater. But I'm only one person.

Sure you do - you dive in Florida where charters cancel trips when the seas are greater than 1 foot rollers - I dove the Keys in March and the captain and dive master were worried about the severe current - I couldn't even feel any. Diving in FL is much different than where I live and dive. Come and dive the North Atlantic and then let's compare definitions about dangerous.

The last time I dove a charter in Florida was several years ago. My dive sites are underground... :cool2:

Oh, and I have dove the North Atlantic, but unfortunately not as often as I'd like. The charters always cancel the night before the dives. :shakehead:

Oh, and I have dove the North Atlantic, but unfortunately not as often as I'd like. The charters always cancel the night before the dives.

Yep, that's a serious side affect around here...you have to watch the weather way out and try your best to guess what the weather will be like...but many charters will go out as long as they can make it to open ocean safely. You may dive a different site than you planned but it will be a good dive. I have only ever gotten blown out on the shallow dives (less than 75 feet)

Let's all call a truce and get this thread back on track. I know I've been doing alot of instigating but I promise to start behaving.

Yep, that's a serious side affect around here...you have to watch the weather way out and try your best to guess what the weather will be like...but many charters will go out as long as they can make it to open ocean safely. You may dive a different site than you planned but it will be a good dive. I have only ever gotten blown out on the shallow dives (less than 75 feet)

Maybe I'm just booking with the wrong charters. My last canceled charter was due to a storm. Trip was canceled at 5pm the day before. The next day was a beautiful, windless day! I even checked sea conditions reports and the sea was flat!!! We were supposed to dive the Resor (130'). Let me know the NJ charters you use. I'd like to get some more dives in the Atlantic before I get too accustomed to the 68-72 degree water temps I get year round!

Let's all call a truce and get this thread back on track. I know I've been doing alot of instigating but I promise to start behaving.

Agreed!

Maybe I'm just booking with the wrong charters. My last canceled charter was due to a storm. Trip was canceled at 5pm the day before. The next day was a beautiful, windless day! I even checked sea conditions reports and the sea was flat!!! We were supposed to dive the Resor (130'). Let me know the NJ charters you use. I'd like to get some more dives in the Atlantic before I get too accustomed to the 68-72 degree water temps I get year round!

I think I only was cancelled the day before once and that was due to a hurricane coming up the coast. Usually it's that morning. I wnnt to Key Largo last Easter and the weather was beautiful. We almost didn't go out because teh seas were right around 1 foot with the possibility of showers. I couldn't believe they even considered cancelling the trip. I haven't dove in NJ - mostly Ocean City, MD and some in NY.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom