Deco Tank Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beau640

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going completely insane attempting to perfectly trim out my 100% tank. I attached some pictures of what it looks like on me. I feel like the tank is riding too vertical. Either I'm being too OCD and this is what it should look like, or I just can't for the life of me get this tank to trim out correctly.

I attached a picture of how the bolt snaps are set up. The top one is just above the break of the tank, very tight against it without really any slack. The bottom one I can wrap around to adjust it's length if need be. I've tried no length on the bottom snap, a lot of length, a middle amount, moving the hose clamp up, moving it down, moving my D ring all the way back, moving it up, keeping it in the middle...no matter what I do I feel like the tank won't ride horizontally next to me like a side mount tank and remains pretty vertical.

Helppppppp. I'm going crazy trying to perfect this and I think I might just be too OCD.

Attachments

• IMG_1691.JPG
    IMG_1691.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 288
  • fullsizeoutput_6df.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_6df.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 289
  • fullsizeoutput_6e0.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_6e0.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 290
I have wondered why tec. divers don't use bungee cord to properly sm Deco and stage tanks....

it looks like it should for a DIR rigged bottle. It is unlikely that you will ever get it perfectly horizontal without lowering the left hip d-ring as well as getting a sidemount style bungee for the top. Your best bet is to just put a sidemount loop bungee on the left side of your plate as mentioned above and that will at least suck the neck up

@wetwelder the reason for that is that the rigging started in the cave diving community where bottles are regularly moved around and dropped off. Moved around being to a leash that is thrown over the thigh, neck clipped to the hip when not being actively used, or left in various parts of the cave. Sidemount bungees make this whole procedure longer and more complex without saving all that much drag.

Very different than if you are doing a single bottle and not planning on leaving it somewhere

Looks a little vertical. How full was your tank?

Thanks so much for the reply. So I'm nuts but not completely nuts.

I've never dived sidemount before. Have a picture for where to place the loop/what it will look like around the tank?

The neck hanging down is easy to suck up/keep in tight. I'm more worried about the back end of the tank when it's too vertical. Was in a tight overhead recently and could feel the bottom of the tank hitting the overhead since it rides higher than my wing/doubles

It's a luxifer alum 40. Was at about 1000psi. Know it will be more vertical as it gets emptier but figured 1k should still be somewhat trimmed out since usually starting dive with 2k unless you need to extra gas and go to a boosted source.

It's a luxifer alum 40. Was at about 1000psi. Know it will be more vertical as it gets emptier but figured 1k should still be somewhat trimmed out since usually starting dive with 2k unless you need to extra gas and go to a boosted source.
Yep, thought so. It had that look. A low al tank can ride very butt light.

Thanks so much for the reply. So I'm nuts but not completely nuts.

I've never dived sidemount before. Have a picture for where to place the loop/what it will look like around the tank?

The neck hanging down is easy to suck up/keep in tight. I'm more worried about the back end of the tank when it's too vertical. Was in a tight overhead recently and could feel the bottom of the tank hitting the overhead since it rides higher than my wing/doubles
When I first started slinging a tank I used a Dive Rite sidemount bungee (see pic). It worked well but finally decided I didn't really need it.

Attachments

• IMG_2154.JPG
    IMG_2154.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 251
Your boltsnaps are too big. That makes it hang down farther in the front.

I can't really tell from the pic but my hunch is that your chest dring is too low, as well.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom