Deco Tank Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a luxifer alum 40. Was at about 1000psi. Know it will be more vertical as it gets emptier but figured 1k should still be somewhat trimmed out since usually starting dive with 2k unless you need to extra gas and go to a boosted source.
It will be floaty with 1000 pounds in it

an al40 at 1k will float like that, it's normal looking for that tank. Pros and cons of that tank. AJ has a point about those bolt snaps, but depending on the size of your gloves, you may need those big snaps for dry gloves or the real thick neoprene gloves.

Chest ring looks to be about in the right spot, you're just foiled a bit by the large bolt snaps.

The ring bungees that @uncfnp posted have a fundamental flaw that stems from Dive Rite telling people how to use them improperly. If you look at the bungee, the tank will only ever ride wherever the bottom of the ring sits if you're using the chokers. They tell you to adjust the bungees from the backplate side instead of the chest d-ring side, and that leaves the tanks way too low

best way to fix the top is to take a loop of bungee where the loop ends somewhere around halfway down your chest. Take a piece of paracord, cave line, gold line, something non stretchy, and tie a bolt snap to it which will clip to your chest d-ring. This is for retrieval and placement purposes. Clip the bottle in like you are now, and reach back for the loop with your left hand and snap the loop over the valve stem of the bottle. This will pull the neck into your chest and also back up much higher than it can sit even with small bolt snaps on a backmount rig.

Stole this picture from rebreather world. Just replace the ring and quick link with some sort of line and you'll be good to go
IMG_0048_zpsklb6xzxc.jpg

Moving the top will help to get the bottle somewhat in trim, but the butt will still float a bit. Not much you can do to fix this without getting very complicated, so I would just put the loop bungee in and

Thanks so much for the replies. Looking at @Macan picture seems like mine are how they should be as those are quite vertical. Rather than dealing with something complex I'll just let them be. It doesn't bother me/is not uncomfortable, I was just worried something wasn't right.

In terms of the bolt snap size, I could probably get by with something smaller but these are the size that people up here are using for 40 degreee water/thick gloves. I'll think about downsizing though to help suck it in more.

Tobin, you got me. I'm completely nuts :rain:

the other option is to go to something like a sidemount rigging for the deco bottle. Very different than the DIR style rigging, but it works pretty well to keep them in place.

Looks something like this. I usually go for about 0.5" of length on the bottom attachment bungee, and the top should be fairly short as well. Spacing of the bottom attachment point should be the distance from your top d-ring to your hip d-ring =the location of the clip on the bottom bolt snap when down, to the top bolt snap when up, minus an inch or so to keep it taught. Due to natures of lever arms and what not, you will never get it flat this way, but by pulling the neck of the bottle up to your shoulder and keeping some tension on the bottom, it should keep the butt of the tank well below the top of your doubles, and will keep the top of the deco bottle at least 6" higher than where it is right now. You so lose the handle of the rigging which can be replaced by a piece of line fairly easily so you can handle them underwater, though most of us leave it off and just manipulate it from the bottom attachment point

Thanks so much for the replies. Looking at @Macan picture seems like mine are how they should be as those are quite vertical. Rather than dealing with something complex I'll just let them be. It doesn't bother me/is not uncomfortable, I was just worried something wasn't right.

In terms of the bolt snap size, I could probably get by with something smaller but these are the size that people up here are using for 40 degreee water/thick gloves. I'll think about downsizing though to help suck it in more.

Tobin, you got me. I'm completely nuts :rain:
You can get by with something smaller for sure.

I noticed that you don't have a Big Bertha boltsnap on your longhose.

Another way.......

Sidemount bungees make this whole procedure longer and more complex

I don't really think that's a fair conclusion. Sidemount can be very swift and simple to don/doff. It all depends on whether you have an effective configuration and the time you devote to practice and ingraining equipment familiarity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom