Decompression diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The toys are definitely cool.

Deco diving is a whole new mindset. It is the transition from recreational diving to a technical mindset. Really planning your dives to a T and following the plan. Starting to think about your dives in a fashion outside of "hey I'll just go down for a bit and then come back up". Starting to really plan dives with a team. Using redundancy to keep you alive in an emergency.

It is rewarding in and of itself to me. Meeting a challenge and planning something complex and then seeing the plan through is rewarding to me. Plus, I get to do and see things most don't and I love it. Deep shipwrecks. Deep caves. Or, just long dives on shallow ships or in shallow caves.

By getting the training to deco diving you can really expand your diving - limits start to disappear. If I want to spend some quality time on a wreck I can do 40 minutes of bottom time on a 140 foot wreck. I can bump up my air with a few percentage points of 02 to reduce the deco obligation and then accelerate the deco with 50% and 02 to keep the dive to a reasonable time. Or I can plan something deeper - get some helium and go see a shipwreck in 200 feet of water with masts standing and rigging hanging. It can really open up a new world and it is awesome.

The stops can get really boring, especially 10-20 feet from the surface:)

The discipline and planning parts of decompression diving are somewhat fun however the actual process of staying at a stop depth for what seems like days can get boring.

They can be boring but it is also a nice time to reflect on the dive and and relax. The sound of bubbles, the satisfaction of completing a challenge. I really enjoy deco'ing out in a cave as I can swim around at my stop depth and enjoy the beauty of a cavern.

They can be boring but it is also a nice time to reflect on the dive and and relax. The sound of bubbles, the satisfaction of completing a challenge. I really enjoy deco'ing out in a cave as I can swim around at my stop depth and enjoy the beauty of a cavern.

Ditto. Deco time is "me" time :). You can get a lot of stuff sorted out when you are absoltely forced to spend 15-20 mintes at 20 just sitting and thinking.

The stops can get really boring, especially 10-20 feet from the surface:)

I find them to be quite relaxing, though (assuming calm water).

Generally to me deco means getting cold and getting bored. When all you can see is green all around and your reel while bouncing up and down in surge it gets boring. Hopefully the main dive before it makes the tedium worth it though.

The sound of bubbles, the satisfaction of completing a challenge. I really enjoy deco'ing out in a cave as I can swim around at my stop depth and enjoy the beauty of a cavern.

Hmmm, What Bubbles:D?

Some of my instructors log their dives in their wetnotes on deco . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom