Decompression diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally find decompression theory and planning pretty fascinating.

But ascending and sticking a reg in your mouth, not so much.

BTW, 1.2 is looking good. Can't wait for the VPM update!

But fascinating, even on a short deco, fades away, when you hold on some anchor chain, and you feel cold, or need to pee, or your mouth hurts because the tank position is not perfect and the heavy regulators (Abyss) hose gives it a torque and after the dive your mouth gets tired of it and you have to look another 10 min in silly face of your buddy (who has similar inconvenience and things the same).....
End of fascinating.....

1. P-valve/wetsuit

2. MiFlex hoses

3. John Bennett used to pull some pages out of the current paperback he was reading, and stick them in his pocket, then read them while on (long) deco stops, letting them drift off in the current as he finished them...

1. P-valve/wetsuit

2. MiFlex hoses

3. John Bennett used to pull some pages out of the current paperback he was reading, and stick them in his pocket, then read them while on (long) deco stops, letting them drift off in the current as he finished them...

add 1) I usually dive in warm water (and don't pee in my shorty), but once a year in cold water on a borrowed wetsuit.....So unlucky with that....but going to pee short before the dive usually helps, but as PADI isn't teaching it, most people don't know :rofl3::rofl3:

add 2) I use a Mares Abyss which uses a bit larger connection on the first stage. Is a MiFlex (by the way what is it??) available for that as well?

add 3) Good idea.....

......unless to person who used the suit before you felt the same way......:)

M

Decompression diving (and training, more specifically) allows you to do a lot more with your diving. Recreational dive planning essentially solves for bottom time with a given amount of decompression (zero). Decompression diving solves for decompression (among other things) for a given bottom time. It's a very simple change in methodology, but it opens up an entire new world of opportunities.

Well that was my weak attempt to highjack the thread.......:)

Thanks to battles2a5 for bringing us back on topic......:)

M

I enjoy the entire process of deco diving.

I enjoy the gear. There is more of it, more to maintain, to tinker with, to check and adjust and set up (or as my wife says, to play with :D). Last weekend my buddy and I drove over to the coast to dive for 2 days. We brought his rebreather, plus 4 sets of doubles for me, a mountain of deco/stage bottles, a bottle of argon, a T bottle of O2, 2 130cf decant bottles for his ccr, all the drysuits, lights , etc. and both our scooters. My truck was so weighted down in the back that the front was sticking up, my headlights were pointed up and everyone kept flashing that my high beams were on.

I enjoy the planning. Choosing dive location, depth and time and gasses and working through the profile.

I enjoy the gas mixing. We partial pressure blend our trimix and deco gasses. I enjoy going to the gas supplier and picking up gasses (although my buddy does that most of the time). I like hanging around the garage with my buddy mixing (although since he has gone ccr he has become a bit irritating in this area :wink:). I like taking the bottles over to the LDS for air tops, doing the tops and shooting the breeze with the staff.

I like executing the dive. It's fun dealing with multiple bottles, maybe a scooter. I enjoy the precision of decompression diving - it's planned, not random, and I enjoy the intentional-ness of a tightly executed dive plan. I like doing the switches, which keeps me occupied so I'm never bored during deco - except at the 20' stop, and even there I am sometimes the most relaxed I ever am, just kind of meditating and reflecting on the dive.

I like the training. I like practicing for emergences and we do so on almost every dive. I'm not a thrill seeker, but I even like it when something unplanned happens and I am tested both psychologically and skill-wise, and my training pays off. Do enough deco dives and things will eventually go south. It's rewarding when (through your training) you can calmly and successfully deal with it. Deco diving is challenging, and I enjoy the challenge. I love enlarging my skills, and there always seems to be an endless pool of knowledge and skills ahead of me.

I like the people that deco dive. The personalities of people who enjoy decompression diving are fun to be around. They are usually more intense people, more head-strong, more self assured, both more serious (about training and skills) and more humorous (about everything else). These people are frank and don't beat around the bush. I like being around these divers for the planning, the preparation, the mixing, the drive to the site, the dive itself and the post-dive food/coffee/discussion. They stretch me as a diver and as a person, and I always learn something from hanging with these people.

I like it that the crowds don't go where deco divers can go. Even on a charter. Doing the Yukon once on a boat full of divers, I was the first diver in and the last one out, and never saw another sole during the dive. You stay longer or go deeper than the masses, and it's both exciting and peaceful. You see things everyone else can't.

I still enjoy bopping around on an easy shallow dive. But for me, technical diving has all that is offered to the non-deco diver, plus all the additional things I listed above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom