Decompression diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what are the attractions for people diving beneath 140ft, other than particular things like wrecks?
I can second Rick Inman's musings. Note that the 366-foot Yukon (San Diego) is sitting at about 110 feet. The bridge is up at 60 feet. Decompression procedures allow you to take enough air down and stay long enough to explore a small piece of her in detail.

The Yukon was my first artificial reef dive, just five years ago. I was lucky in that my buddy was one of the team that stripped and prepped her for the sinking, so it was a great introductory tour. Up in Nanaimo (just a ferry ride away from you) lies a Yukon sister ship, Saskatchewan, and several other big artificial reefs about five minutes out from the marina.

So deco is for me a means to an end. While (like Rick) I also enjoy the challenges of planning, provisioning, and executing multi-stiop multi-gas dives, it's really about the wrecks (relatively shallow, none of your Atlantic liners at 200 feet, thank you).

I have to admit that when I started diving I never thought I'd care to dive wrecks. But the first time I drifted down onto one and she began to take shape in the gloom and limited viz, I was hooked. There is a fascination in encountering a vessel that's come to ground, whether she failed by misadventure or was put there. You feel a connection to her, her history, her men. And even if you're just floating alongside her, it's a completely different feeling from standing on a pier and looking over a ship. You're alive and she's not.

-Bryan

Of course, having penned this thought:
(relatively shallow, none of your Atlantic liners at 200 feet, thank you)
I must admit that Omicron gets my attention with this:
Or I can plan something deeper - get some helium and go see a shipwreck in 200 feet of water with masts standing and rigging hanging.
And that is sooo tempting . . .

-Bryan

I wish I didn't hear the sound of bubbles!

I'm with you String -- deco in 42 degree water is just a way to get colder. Do the crime, accept the time.

My mom taught me to never say I was bored---she said it showed an empty mind. Enjoy the deco stops. If you have nothing that entertains you there, entertain yourself...

It's fun to start clipping gear off to one person to weight them down :)

Last summer I was doing a survey on Lake Michigan for a week. The wreck was about 170 and we were doing 30-40 minutes of bottom time so around 40 to 50 minutes of deco. We did our dive and were waiting on the boat for 2 of the other teams to come up. It was crazy hot out. I grabbed my mask and my 50% and jumped off the boat and swam over to the mooring line. I went down the line and settle in among the divers on their 20/30 foot stops and started waving at 'em in just a swimsuit. Got some pretty good reactions.

It's fun to start clipping gear off to one person to weight them down
And much easier to get away with if a co-conspirator is amusing the target with a round of rock-paper-scissors . . .

-Bryan

String:
The discipline and planning parts of decompression diving are somewhat fun

Totally agree String...

Blackwood:
I find them to be quite relaxing, though (assuming calm water).

I have nodded off for a few seconds before in calm 84 degree water:) Luckily I had very stable buoyancy. Overall...for me...I just get bored pretty easily.

One thing that helps with the boredom is having several other divers on the line bouncing off of me and jockeying for position. That can keep things interesting....

The only place I ever came close to nodding off underwater was decoing with my head stuck in the bottom of the log in the Devil's Ear in Ginnie Springs. I was wedged in and needed to do nothing to maintain my position, and I got real, real drowsy . . . Same thing that happened to me when I tried meditation, and for much the same reason. Breathe in, breathe out . . . very hypnotic.

TSandM:
The only place I ever came close to nodding off underwater was decoing with my head stuck in the bottom of the log in the Devil's Ear in Ginnie Springs. I was wedged in and needed to do nothing to maintain my position, and I got real, real drowsy . . . Same thing that happened to me when I tried meditation, and for much the same reason. Breathe in, breathe out . . . very hypnotic.

:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom