Decompression needed for Chilean miners...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here he goes...

DandyDon,

The actual calculation can be carried out, but here is why I think that the bends is not a likely outcome without doing the math:

1. Elevation dive tables are available in 2000 foot increments. If you are within 1000 feet of sea level, you assume sea level pressure. The miners are less than 2000 feet below the surface, are they not? I dive 4000 feet regularly. This is analogous to treating a 90 ft dive as 110 ft wrt DCS. Not a huge hit;

2. The air in the mine is very hot (28 C or thereabout?) Hot air is less dense than cold air. The air cools up the shaft as you rise, but the net effect of the decreased air density in the mine makes the pressure at the bottom of the shaft less than it would be if the air column had the same uniform surface temperature. For example, air at 30C (mine bottom) is about 5% less dense than air at 15C (a surface estimate). Again, not a huge difference, but it is a plus for the miners.

Have you seen the (small) size of that cage??? I dive in LOTS of thermal protection, but THAT would press the limits of my self-control.
Yeah, I couldn't see any reason why the reported risk could be real. Chewing gum to pop ears maybe, but that's all in the area of pressure changes. Like I said, they have many other challenges, and that pod is tiny for such a long, risky lift. Honestly, I'd be tempted to stay below rather than risk getting stuck part way. I read that the miners were so confident that they were arguing over who goes last; I wonder if that's part of it.

Looking as the live feed, they're about to send [-]one of the medics[/-] "technical expert" down. Now there is one brave guinea pig..! :medal:

Last edited:
This summer I did a calculation to see how changes in elevation would affect my inflatable boat while I was hauling it around. I came up with 1 psi decrease for every 2000 ft increase in elevation from sea level. If that's not totally off, absent overpressure from pumping, they'll drop less than 1.5 psi - not worth worrying about unless you get the bends going up into your local mountains for the day.

Just found a pretty useful table:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html

Last edited:
The medic made it down, capsule coming up with first miner, and it's pushing hot, humid air out into the cold air. Foggy! Live coverage also at BBC News - Chile mine rescue with UK/English commentary along with alternate views.

It's also live on MSNBC, both the web and the channel.

Florencio Avalos and family
Very good.

The winch is fast. They'll have them all out before morning - better for their eyes. Not bad for an operation that was expected to take twice as long.

Well, the turn around is slow, and it's already 12:52am there. They're talking about getting them out in 24 hours. Their president needs to take some speaking lessons from Abe Lincoln.

Last edited:
The doctor on Fox News just speculated about the risk of the bends due to 'getting more CO2 in your blood' as the miners come up from the depths. He said they've been talking about that aspect all evening... so by now he's got the analysis pretty well nailed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom