Deep course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glock36

Reaction score
I tried to post this under the classes section...but It never appeared...so I will try here..

Hello everyone...I have a question for the more experienced divers out there. How deep is too deep on a specialty course? It should still be w/in recreational limits, correct? Unless I am taking some technical diving course....Here is the story...While calling around to find a deep diving specialty course, I talked to a individual that set off warning bells in my head. This could be due to me not knowing as much as I would like...but what do you think about this?
The organization that I am looking at the deep course for requires a minimum of 100ft for the check out dives. All the local shops (w/in 45 min of the house) take these courses to Coz. Well, that would be fine, but I do not have the money for the trip + most of my diving will Texas....so, thats where I want to take the check out dives. So, I continued to call to a not so local dive shop. In talking to one instructor / store owner, he told me on the phone that he would not teach me the couse unless he knew me. I thought well, ok...I guess I can understand that...then he told me that he takes his courses to Coz and that his checkout dives are between 130 and 185 ft. He then told me that if he trusts the diver and was comfortable w/ them....he has taken them to 225 ft before....am I wrong in thinking that this is crazy depths to be taking divers at this level? Single tank....air.... I told him that I only had 32 dives under my belt before he went into the course description...so he knew what level I was at...What do you think....? Thanks in advance...

Kenny

it was my understanding that 225 thats 68.18 metres, is actually to deep for air as the partial pressure of oxygen is greater than 1.4 and therefore there is a high risk of oxygen toxicity.

Enough on the technical side, 100ft 30m sounds about right for a checkout dive on a deep diver speciality for the PADI deep diver course, (the only one i really know anything about), it depends really on youre level of confort, how deep have you dived previously?

ps, from how you tell it, the people at that lds, dont sound to friendly, if thats youre opinion you may want to shop around for a more welcoming, lds

Be more specific, please - what agency and what course. You are correct, however, a diver with only 32 dives in their log has no business diving below recreational limits, regardless of whether it's part of a class or not.

reefraff:
Be more specific, please - what agency and what course. You are correct, however, a diver with only 32 dives in their log has no business diving below recreational limits, regardless of whether it's part of a class or not.

It is the SSI deep specialty course....

Dave_1985:
ps, from how you tell it, the people at that lds, dont sound to friendly, if thats youre opinion you may want to shop around for a more welcoming, lds

I agree...I have been looking elsewhere....especially that combined w/ what ...to me..sounds like an unsafe class...

Kenny

Glock36:
I don't know anything about the SSI standards or what their Deep Diver specialty course is supposed to teach, but teaching a new diver to go to those kinds of depths is nuts. I'm glad to hear that they shop said they wouldn't let you take this class unless they knew you, that should be a standard for any technical class and diving below recreational depths is ALWAYS technical. What can I say, other than I'm glad you're smart enough to know that you aren't ready for this.

Glock36:
If memory serves, qualifying dives are in the 25m/80'+ range with the max depth 40m/130'. An SSI course should not include depths greater than that - you can ask the SSI shop about the current criteria, those were from memory quite awhile ago...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom