Deep, Deeper, Freakin' Deep!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a thought and then it sort of got diluted ....

If the ambient pressure exceeds the pressure in the tank you will not be able to get any gas out.

If the ambient pressure exceeds the pressure in the tank you will not be able to get any gas out.

Unless the ambient pressure exceeds the pressure sufficiently to squeeze the air out (crush the tank) ..... :D

I know, smart ass comment...

Let me get this right - these were divers in a submersible or similar? I mean these guys weren't wearing drysuits, right? I am imagining a chamber of some sort with all the life support functions, etc lowered to those depths?

If that is the case, then what's the big deal? Did man already travel to the deepest part of the ocean in a sub in the 1970s?

Let me get this right - these were divers in a submersible or similar? I mean these guys weren't wearing drysuits, right? I am imagining a chamber of some sort with all the life support functions, etc lowered to those depths?
In a chamber, in a building, in France. Pressure in the chamber is pumped up to simulate a dive. No one is in the ocean, no one is wet.
L If that is the case, then what's the big deal? Did man already travel to the deepest part of the ocean in a sub in the 1970s?
In the Trieste dive the personnel were not exposed to any pressure, the vehicle's hull kept the pressure out, in the COMEX "dives" the personnel were exposed to the pressure inside the chamber, pressure equivalent to that at of the depths indicated.

What's the deepest someone has actually worked in the water?

In a chamber, in a building, in France. Pressure in the chamber is pumped up to simulate a dive. No one is in the ocean, no one is wet.
In the Trieste dive the personnel were not exposed to any pressure, the vehicle's hull kept the pressure out, in the COMEX "dives" the personnel were exposed to the pressure inside the chamber, pressure equivalent to that at of the depths indicated.

I see. Thanks for clearing this up.

So the COMEX stuff is just pushing the boundaries in terms of pressure on the human body. There are no other "complications" that exist in OW diving - equipment, nature, support, etc.

Isn't that easy then? Going to 700m in a chamber just means that the human body can withstand that pressure & thats it, right?

Original post:
In 1977 - 501m in the Meditteranean Sea breathing Heliox

* In 1988 - 530m, again in the Med., breathing Hydro-Heliox ( 49/50/1 ) - 8 days to reach depth, 18 days deco.

I'm confused.

Isn't that easy then? Going to 700m in a chamber just means that the human body can withstand that pressure & thats it, right?

Well, not so easy. Less risky than OW perhaps, but my no means and easy accomplishment. Certainly provides evidence to support a theoretical feasibility of a Dive plan to 700m.

To quote another member .... "You first" :popcorn:

Best Regards
Richard (Riger)

Original post:
In 1977 - 501m in the Meditteranean Sea breathing Heliox

* In 1988 - 530m, again in the Med., breathing Hydro-Heliox ( 49/50/1 ) - 8 days to reach depth, 18 days deco.

I'm confused.

I think the shallower dives are in OpenWater, the 701m dive was in a Tank.

I expect the experts here will confirm or reject this statement before long.

Best Regards
Richard (Riger)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom