Deep dives on air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KNDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Are there anyone here who knows about CMAS approves deep dive to over 40/50 meters using normal air (21%)? Or was it only in the old days? Are there any standards approving dive to 50 meters on air, or you become wiser because of new knowledge?

The old navy tables go to 300' on air..... As a old diver that did a lot of deep dives on air... I'll say EVERY diver is different on how they deal with narcosis..

Jim....

In France they do. 60m is the limit for 3* divers. CMAS is not an agency though, CMAS has a bunch of agencies under them and they all have their own standards.
Why do you wanna know?

Let's make sure We all understand the question.

Are you asking about agencies that TEACH dives deeper than 40-50 meters on air as a part of their official instructional program? Or do you want to know about what agencies approve when you are diving on your own?

The difference is huge. As a tech instructor, I am required to follow very specific standards when diving to those depths during a training dive. As a diver on my own, I have no restrictions whatsoever. An instructional agency can only govern what happens during instruction. Restricting what divers do on their own is beyond their power.

I can't speak to any standards since the only instruction I received when I first used SCUBA in 1962 was "Don't hold your breath."

In the fairy recent past I've done a number of deep air dives to a max depth of 200 fsw. Initially they were to test my response to narcosis, then later to film for an episode on "deep" ecology.

I took about two months to gradually increase my diving depth to that range. Then I did about a year or so of deep air diving. During that period I was doing as many as 350 dives a year so my system was probably loaded with nitrogen. I believe my body acclimated to it. I no longer dive to such depths as I have no reason to. If I were to dive deeper than 130 fsw today, I'd probably be narced as heck.

In France they do. 60m is the limit for 3* divers. CMAS is not an agency though, CMAS has a bunch of agencies under them and they all have their own standards.
Why do you wanna know?

Do you have that standard?

Let's make sure We all understand the question.

Are you asking about agencies that TEACH dives deeper than 40-50 meters on air as a part of their official instructional program? Or do you want to know about what agencies approve when you are diving on your own?

The difference is huge. As a tech instructor, I am required to follow very specific standards when diving to those depths during a training dive. As a diver on my own, I have no restrictions whatsoever. An instructional agency can only govern what happens during instruction. Restricting what divers do on their own is beyond their power.

I'am asking what agencies approve. I known I can do I want on my own.

You want the agency standards? For what? Are you looking to do a specific course with an agency that allows single tanks deep air diving?

If you'd be less cryptic, we could actually tell you what you want to know.
Single tank deep air/deco (cmas style) is not a good way to go.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom