Deep outdoors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was my impression of the equipment. Very high quality and surprisingly comfy. However when i found out the wings were bungeed I became skeptical. I really don't see a need for the bungees, except maybe if you were cave or wreck diving and you were concerned that the uninflated wings wings may drag or catch on something. In that case wouldn't it be better to maybe create some kind of elastic shell the for the wing. Just a thought.

I do plan to get out and dive with you all when the water warms up. My finace hates quarries and cold water so I am sure I will be looking for dive buddies.

Why drop 600.00 on Deepoutdoors? a BP is a BP. Look at the Fred T plate or Gary Hoardy on Ebay stores. Both make great plates and have good prices. And take a look at the Halcyon wings. Best wings you can get.
Eric

Least expensive way to do a backplate is to go either with an AUL or Diverite aluminum BP and harness. Both companies have wings that are less expensive than those sold by Halcyon. For Diverite you have to shop around, if you want to buy from an authorized dealer, or go the Leisurepro route. Northeast Scuba in PA has some deals also.

Things might go better if you can E-Bay the Raider first, IMO.

Been lurking here for a while, but I'll pipe up now.

Deep Outdoors Matrix is pretty much a "modular" system you can build to your specifications. I was shopping for a Halcyon wing and BP when I came across Deep Outdoors and started looking at it. From what I'm told, Deep Outdoors was started by some former Scubapro people.

The Matrix is definitely not DIR, so if you're looking for a "stock" DIR system, stick with the Halcyon wing/BP setup. However, the Matrix is customizable. You can detach the BP from the harness and pad, buy yourself a single piece of webbing, and build your own harness to DIR spec. The backplate is a nice laser cut 7lb SS plate. I haven't compared it side-by-side to the Halcyon (or Fred T's for that matter) to check the possibilities for harness placement.

The Matrix harness has a ton of rings and buckles. That's one thing I really don't like about it. Then there's the plastic quick release buckles, chest strap and belly strap. The main waist strap is a SS (I think) buckle like on the Halcyon harness. The plastic is some composite material that is supposedly fairly strong. We beat on the plastic with a hammer and it didn't deform or break. The harness fits like a tactical load bearing vest and is quite comfortable.

As for the wing, my first impression was "are you trying to get me killed?" They looked like the infamous OMS bungied wings of death--especially on the orange 85lb wing I saw. However, the shock cord in the wing is light latex and it does not collapse the wing. The wing will not fully deflate by itself. Supposedly, the wing will keep about 10lbs of lift in it unless you're trying to force the air out of it. I suppose that at depth, it would flatten just like any other wing. As for oral inflation, it took a handful of puffs to inflate the 85lb wing full. I didn't notice much difference in oral inflation difficulty between the DO and Halcyon wing.

The DO has an option weight system you can add on. One is a "front release" and the other is a "bottom release". The "front release" system is downright dangerous. I stood in front of the BC yanking on the weight release system to try to get it to ditch, and I could only work the system using both hands. It would be nearly impossible to quickly operate the weight release system underwater and under stress while wearing gloves. Avoid the "front release" system like the plague. The SSI instructor I was chatting with actually apologized for having the front release system on the floor, as they had decided to ship all the front release pouches back to DO because they sucked. The bottom release worked pretty smoothly, though.

I didn't notice any provisions for trim weight placement like the Halcyon setups I've seen. I suppose it could be done, though, since you can buy all sorts of keen pouches for the Matrix.

I thought it was one of the better BC's I've seen lately, as far as "mass marketed" equipment goes. It's still a "techreational" BC, though. If DO were to shed some buckles and eliminate failure points, I'd be much happier with it.

1) Buy a Aluminum Dive Rite backplate for $40 on ebay.
2) Buy $30 Worth of Ribbon and D-rings etc to make harness.
3) Rec Wing off of Ebay for $180.
4) I remove Bungee from wing and I replaced the Inflator pull valve thingy on the wing with a lbow $6. Replaced the rubber tube on the inflator hose with a shorter one $12.

Total $268 bucks and it works great. I have put about 50 dives on it and I really like the setup. I took the $200+ I saved and bought something else :)

If you think your going to get into more technical diving just get a plain BP and Harness. I wasted a lot of money going from a Back Inflation Wing type Jacket (Sea quest Balance) to a Transpac II and ended up with what people where recommending the whole time. Simpler is definately better IMO.

Lucid has the right idea. You can get a great setup and spend a lot less than $600.00.

Look into the FredT backplates. Simpler is better, go with a regular BP and Harness.

At most the harness and hardware will cost you is around $30 -40. Reef scuba (www.reefscuba.com) has some of the best prices for that stuff. Mcmaster-Carr is also a good source for stuff.

About the wings - I think Halcyon has a great wing that is well made and well thought out. If you can find it. Go with the older Dive Rite Classic. A great wing as well.

Eric

I think I dive my Raider for a while. I have no plans to get into tech diving at this point and no plans dive doubles. The raider is nice and cushy, my only complaint is that it seems like it will be very bulky to pack for Bonaire in June and the 50 lbs of lift may be a bit of an over kill for tropical water. I think an aluminum bp and harness and a travel wing would be better for, well....travel. Maybe sometime in the future.

bp and wings is not just for tech. Once you try one - you will really like it and not go back.
Eric

BP and Wings is for any type of diving, not just tech. I do all my diving with a BP. This is why a lot of people really like the BP. I can use the same rig for singles quarry diving that I do for deep doubles diving. The versitility is a key point.

Back
Top Bottom