Deep Outdoors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

52brandon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Found what looks to be a nice BP/W made by Deep Outdoors for sale. It's called a freedom. After some Google work, I found a few links for them for sale in the UK for around $750 (450 pounds more specifically). But it seems the company is out of business which is a bit of a red flag. I read a handful of threads with mixed opinions, though the negative ones seemed to be from folks that never tried one while the positive ones were from people that had. Which is a good sign. I'm torn on the matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Can't really speak for their BP systems, but I did own one of their BCDs. Looked great on paper, but was somewhat lacking in real life. Might be concerned about part availability, etc. Their stuff always seemed pretty well made, but just never really caught on.

One area they were pretty good at, however, was in dive bags and luggage. I still use one of their large roller equipment bags for trips. Excellent product; very functional and durable.

I have two Deep Outdoors wings, and I like them. I did swap out the very long corrugated hoses they came with, but otherwise I've been very happy with the gear.

You're going to pay $750 for a bp/w from a mfr. that's out of the manufacturing business when a Halcyon Eclipse (overpriced IMO) is $800 new?

Check out DSS - configurator: (click Complete Rigs on the website) I think a fully set up system is far less. And in SoCal based if you ever need something. https://www.deepseasupply.com/ Tobin is online here frequently for questions [user]cool_hardware52[/user] And they have a forum here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-sea-supply/

I've got no dog in this fight since I dive a back-inflate BCD - actually Tobin was helpful once helping me decide not to buy a bp/w.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Deep Outdoors even if they are out of business, but Deep Sea Supply is my BP/Wing of choice. Great materials, superb craftsmanship and awesome designs make for for a superior system. Tobin has a wealth of knowledge about what you should be wearing though he doesn't suffer fools easily.

Nothing wrong with Deep Outdoors even if they are out of business, but Deep Sea Supply is my BP/Wing of choice. Great materials, superb craftsmanship and awesome designs make for for a superior system. Tobin has a wealth of knowledge about what you should be wearing though he doesn't suffer fools easily.

I thought the Express Tech is your BP/W of choice.

... actually Tobin was helpful once helping me decide not to buy a bp/w.

Interesting. What reasons were given to not buy a bp/w?

Can't really speak for their BP systems, but I did own one of their BCDs. Looked great on paper, but was somewhat lacking in real life. Might be concerned about part availability, etc. Their stuff always seemed pretty well made, but just never really caught on.

One area they were pretty good at, however, was in dive bags and luggage. I still use one of their large roller equipment bags for trips. Excellent product; very functional and durable.

Agreed ! I still use one of their large roller gear bags, and for a few years successfully used their Matrix harness/wing system, but stopped using their gear (other than the gear bag) a few years ago.
1) their weight pocket system is a 'cluster ****' , very hard to load weights, and hard to ditch too, the Fastex buckle is hidden away and very hard to clip/unclip (had to upgrade those to Halcyon weight pockets)
2) can't update/modify/reposition any of the shoulder strap D-rings (everything is sewn in place--NO adjustability.)
3) the gear is well made/solid (so no outright quality issues) but I wanted a much more flexible system that allows ne to customize placement of pockets/accessories/ D-rings.

---------- Post added November 30th, 2013 at 12:46 PM ----------

You're going to pay $750 for a bp/w from a mfr. that's out of the manufacturing business when a Halcyon Eclipse (overpriced IMO) is $800 new?

Check out DSS - configurator: (click Complete Rigs on the website) I think a fully set up system is far less. And in SoCal based if you ever need something. https://www.deepseasupply.com/ Tobin is online here frequently for questions [user]cool_hardware52[/user] And they have a forum here: Deep Sea Supply

I've got no dog in this fight since I dive a back-inflate BCD - actually Tobin was helpful once helping me decide not to buy a bp/w.

Agreed, gear from a bankrupt manufacturer should be substantially discounted. That being said, Deepoutdoors used generic inflator hose assemblies and OPVs, which are really the only things likely to wear out/break, so spare parts are readily available for the components most likely to ever need spare parts. However, there will be no manufacturer's warranty, so if the item is actually defective, the buyer would have no recourse.

Interesting. What reasons were given to not buy a bp/w?
Tobin gave me all the reasons to buy a BP/W. Based on that I decided on comfort over pure functionality - I couldn't get around the BP since I don't wear or own a wetsuit - never have - and occasionally carry my rig longer distances on shore. Also I put things in pockets. I bought a Zeagle Ranger instead. Prior to that I owned a hard plastic backplate BCD.

Completely my decision - I didn't mean to imply that Tobin talked me out of it. In fact he was very helpful in answering my somewhat naive - at the time - questions about one.

No. I should have clarified. I found one for about $300, used, but looks almost new. When I searched for it to find a point of reference, I found them for $750

eh. Nevermind. I got this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/scuba-backp...HPpXZEsW0vMgaTnxCeoc4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I figure Dive Rite isn't going anywhere. Seemed like a pretty good deal for $238 shipped. I was looking into getting a BCD in about that price-range previously. But after suggestions here, decided to get a BP/W instead. Harness, wing, AL BP and weight pockets. Seems about right for an entry setup

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom