Deep Run

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJW

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey yall -

I am wondering if any of you have dove in Deep Run lately after it was "closed"???

I am dying to know!! I can't dive there this weekend due to health reason but will dive next weekend - so I can have something to look forward if Deep Run is diveable.

Jackie -

I got the word right from the horse's mouth, Deep Run will be closing. It is a directive handed down from Ontario County (the town of Gorham has nothing to do with it) under the direction of the Office of Homeland Security.

I took the liberty of e-mailing the NY Director of Homeland Security to find out more information and vent my frustrations.

Until I see any posted signs or have an officer tell me otherwise, I will be diving Deep Run. I have to get back to the Vince at least one last time. :14:

Aw ok - let me know what's going on.

Response I got from an "insider":

The answer to your question is yes. Diving near the intake for the water system is not permitted, for a couple of reasons. One is that apparently water testing in this area has come back with a high level of "plastics", I am told from diving suits. The testing is checked by NYS Dept of Health and they said - too high -diving not allowed. The other reason for prohibiting diving in that area is that the water intake is there and would not be too difficult for someone to do something to contaminate the water which would go into the system and be catastrophic for about 4500 water customers. That has come up as well with the Homeland Security issues. Sorry!

Plastics??? That's a good one....

The person that I got this information from is a good friend of the insider, they'd have no reason to lie about it. What is done is done. I'm just going to dive elsewhere, that's all.

And hopefully this weekend's trip to the Vince won't be derailed.

I just don't understand 'plastics'.... what plastic are we wearing? I've never heard such a thing.

Have fun this weekend!! Should be good weather.

QUOTE from http://www.divinghistory.com/historyofthewetsuit.htm

"Bradner explained in simple terms the difference between the wet versus the dry rubber suit. The wet suit gets its thermal insulation from the many small air bubbles trapped in the material, and hence can stand a small amount of water flow between the garment and the skin. The wet suit was made from a unicellular foamed plastic material such as neoprene, rubber, or polyvinylchloride; while the dry suit was a thin waterproof garment made from heavy rubberized cloth under which the diver wore thick, usually wool underwear. A dry suit that depends on woolen underwear will lose its thermal insulation if water displaces the air in that underwear. "

there's no sign up saying no diving allowed
there are those who have been ( GASP) diving there in defiance of the homeland security issues

and they weren't hassled by the polici.

i may make a visit there myself monday

dt

I went diving with Yukoneer tonight and no one is stopping us yet. There is no sign up that says no diving allowed either. Tomorrow, I am going back to Deep Run for more diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom