Deep Sea Detectives - Andrea Doria episode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yabbutt I'm some hard up for something to watch. Right now I just dropped a plastic ship in the fish tank and pulled my chair up real close...........

My wife is telling me that wearing my mask and fins is a bit over the top though, and the 104's are gonna scratch her floor.

Huh, you think I'm kidding?

DeepScuba once bubbled...
Yabbutt I'm some hard up for something to watch. Right now I just dropped a plastic ship in the fish tank and pulled my chair up real close...........

My wife is telling me that wearing my mask and fins is a bit over the top though, and the 104's are gonna scratch her floor.

Huh, you think I'm kidding?
Go buy the AUE DVD! That should take care of your fix for a while!

I'll check it out brother!

Even Chapters is dinkin' me around, 2 weeks to deliver 2 books that they had in stock???

C'mon!!

Must be the BC logging thing. The had to ship it to the US so I have to pay double duty when we re-import our lumber to build our overinflated houses..... Well, I guess "W's" gotta get his piece one way or the other......

Damn Canada Post, just upped their fees..........must be the fine job they do.......*%#^***. Gas is $2.50 a gallon......$2.00 is taxes.....

Heheh

Thanks man.

O-ring once bubbled...
...except an excellent example of how not to conduct dives on the Doria..
what specifically?

mwilding once bubbled...
what specifically?
Doing exploration level dives with someone who has never been on the doria and then splitting into two teams (one solo on a CCR) for dive 1. The plan for dive 2 was one person stay outside the wreck solo on a breather and the other person to penetrate to the point of impact (a SERIOUS penetration) solo on OC. IMHO, this glorifies the type of diving that gets people killed and should not be considered typical of "technical" diving in any way shape or form.

O-ring once bubbled...
...except an excellent example of how not to conduct dives on the Doria..

I am glad I am not the only one that was not terribly impressed with the show. Some of the information they sated as being brand new can be found in Deep Descent.

BTW, I love the warren miller quote.

I liked how they basically showed that it was likely the Stockholms fault and then left it that there was "plenty of blame to go around"...

Regardless of its flaws, it is still one of my favorite shows at the moment. Have you ever watched ER with a doctor? They think it's a comedy...

I agree the solo dives wern't solo, they just did not mention (and seldom showed) the other divers with the cameras.

I also agree most of the investigation related information is not new, particularly with regard to Carsten Johanssen possibly misreading the radar by having the wrong range scale selected - that's no where near being a "new" theory.

The artist depiction of the Doria in it's present condition was interesting though with the top couple of decks essentially collapsed and on the bottom. I thought it was particulary interesting that the section of hull with Gimbel's Hole was depicted as being folded over one of the remaining decks at about a 90 degree angle. Also interesting that they thought the beam of the ship had compressed another 5 feet in the last 10 years.

O-ring once bubbled...

Doing exploration level dives with someone who has never been on the doria and then splitting into two teams (one solo on a CCR) for dive 1. The plan for dive 2 was one person stay outside the wreck solo on a breather and the other person to penetrate to the point of impact (a SERIOUS penetration) solo on OC. IMHO, this glorifies the type of diving that gets people killed and should not be considered typical of "technical" diving in any way shape or form.

What makes you say that this isn't typical?

I thought I was gonna puke if they said "deep dark and dangerous" one more time.

They don't make diving shows for divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom