Deep Sea Detectives - Andrea Doria episode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealkie once bubbled...
there were camera guys - there were lighting guys - I know one of the lighting guys - no one was diving solo

As for Norwood - he wasn`t even on that trip - so his death is not an issue - he was also NOT solo diving when he died

the show is not a training video - it is a program aimed at the masses - they made it VERY clear the diving the Doria is not for everyone - but they also made an interesting program for non divers.

Unless you were there you do not know how the dives were carried out
You have your opinion and I have mine...personally, I find most of the diving sloppy as all $hit. Where were the CCR guy's bailouts?

Let's just agree to disagree..

O-ring once bubbled...

You have your opinion and I have mine...personally, I find most of the diving sloppy as all $hit. Where were the CCR guy's bailouts?

Let's just agree to disagree..

That is an extremely good question by ORing. I looked for bailout bottles on the CCR diver. He was not carrying any himself. Someone else must have been carrying some for him, if at all.

I suppose everyone has their own definition of "sloppy as $hi+". My definition of it includes only wearing one single electronic depth/timing device, or one single SPG. But then it really depends who has programmed you as to what your definitions are. I agree with agreeing to disagree.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
"deep dark and dangerous"
"WOW! Look how light it is down there! And look at the viz... so that is what tropical diving is like.... amazing! It was darker than that at 60' here today and by 90' it was dark as night."

She wasn't as impressed by viz since she isn't a diver.

Her favorite part of the show was an inside peek of the Merchant Marine Academy... we have a nephew in his second year there.

The funny things is, and I think we'll all agree, is that when we watch a majority of these films, we end up thinking how poorly these guys dive.

HEY I didn't see it, remember, I live in TAXada.

I'm just saying that most of the ones I see I end up laughing a bit. Sure it's made for TV, and the narration is usually done by non-divers for non-divers.

Chatterton is obviously an ACE diver. Any guy with the go-nads big enough to push an ALU80 ahead of himself at 230ft inside a U-boat (Read the book) has got to be nuts or quite brave. I don't think I could do that.

CCR bailout?? WHY!!! hehehe:D

DeepScuba once bubbled...
Chatterton is obviously an ACE diver. Any guy with the go-nads big enough to push an ALU80 ahead of himself at 230ft inside a U-boat (Read the book) has got to be nuts or quite brave. I don't think I could do that.

He's likely nuts and brave. However, bravery/insanity doesn't equal ace diver. If you recall, he almost died on the first attempt at pushing through that restriction.

It's weird because I thought on last weeks episode 9at Lake Mead) Chatterton was carrying atleast one 40cu? My guess would be that on the Doria the crew was carrying something for him. Who knows, he's made a living as a industrial/commerical diver, so he must be doing something right.

Basically, these guys are about the opposite spectrum of DIR in a number of ways (espically with their gear), but there is no doubt they are two of the greatest NE wreck divers ever.

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
It's weird because I thought on last weeks episode 9at Lake Mead) Chatterton was carrying atleast one 40cu? My guess would be that on the Doria the crew was carrying something for him. Who knows, he's made a living as a industrial/commerical diver, so he must be doing something right.

Basically, these guys are about the opposite spectrum of DIR in a number of ways (espically with their gear), but there is no doubt they are two of the greatest NE wreck divers ever.

Basically these guys are about the opposite spectrum of DIR in a number of ways especially their gear, AND THEREFORE there is no doubt they are two of the greatest NE wreck divers ever.

In other words, they have been around for a long time, and they know what they are doing. And very nice gear configuration. Not lopsided nor all cluttered up along the backplate.

DeepScuba once bubbled...

CCR bailout?? WHY!!! hehehe:D

I read the book and I've always wondered whe he didn't just sidemount.

I don't know Mike, I could be wrong, but, from the video I've seen it looked pretty tight to get in there any other way (than pushing the 80 ahead of him).

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

The show was truly fascinating and riviting. The camera crew obviously served as the buddies for the two divers, although you were never shown the camera crew. Unsung heroes and great shots. It was a great documentary, the best I have ever seen on the History channel !

For a 1 hour show, there was not that much scuba footage. Just clips of 3 dives, two of which turned out to be external survey dives, and the third which was only comprised of all of the divers hanging onto their down-line fighting a 2 to 4 kt current which was then aborted.

I would have to guess the divers were using IANTD protocols. One was a CCR diver and the other looked like he had twin HP 120s with tank boots, a tech B/C of some kind, his two deco bottles nicely split right and left for equal balance, and canister battery mounted between the twin tanks.

I had to laugh when they split up their entire team into two separate groups on the second dive, to go look for access to the damaged starboard bow area, which they never found.

The first dive was designated an external survey, and was to a depth of about 200 ft for 25 mins, I believe. The second dive was designated as a penetration dive, if they could find access to the damaged area, however they never found an access way, even after the CCR diver went to 250 ft for 25 mins. The third dive was aborted on the descent line.

It was a nice dive boat they were using, one that even Uncle Pug would be proud have!

The computer graphics on the re-creation of the original collision, and the historic film footage, plus the interviews with the watch officer of the Stockholm, who gave the command to turn into the Doria, and with the staff officer of the Doria, were intriguing. There were also interviews of survivors of the collision.

Blame in the show was placed upon the excessive speed of both ships in the thick fog.

My own impression is that the Doria captain was playing chicken, waiting for the Stockholm to blink. When Stockholm finally did blink, she turned to starboard (a standard maneuver) expecting the Doria to do so as well, in the opposite direction, however Doria maintained course and speed, and therefore Stockholm plowed right into Doria's starboard bow and sank her. Fair enough, for a game of chicken! History has apparently blamed the captain of the Doria, however the show tried to put more responsibility upon the Stockholm's watch officer.

The show blamed the watch officer of the Stockholm for not awakening the captain. The watch officer also apparently from his readings misread the radar scale, and therefore both ships were closer than he thought, therefore in this game of chicken it was too late to blink.

The artist's re-depiction of the wreck shows it to be badly collapsing under the pressure of the currents and other elements at 250 fsw, just like DAAquamaster said. It does not look safe to penetrate, if that is possible at all now, after almost 50 years of collapse.

historychannel.com should have the $25 video verson for sale, as usual, if you missed it, or if you live in Canada. :)

The eagles nest is a great boat.. Its a bit slow but is really nice.. You didn't get to see the inside..

I use this boat often enough.. You are not allowed in the cabin if you are even damp.. nice couches, dvd, vcr fully carpeted, bunks downstairs.. the deep trips are usually multiday trips and are usually done midweek..

see http://www.eaglesnestwreckdiving.com/

Captain Howard LIVES on his boat...

Back
Top Bottom