Deep Sea Detectives - Andrea Doria episode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

That is an extremely good question by ORing. I looked for bailout bottles on the CCR diver. He was not carrying any himself. Someone else must have been carrying some for him, if at all.

I suppose everyone has their own definition of "sloppy as $hi+". My definition of it includes only wearing one single electronic depth/timing device, or one single SPG. But then it really depends who has programmed you as to what your definitions are. I agree with agreeing to disagree.

actually john was carrying a single bailout, his argon bottle was on top of his case the bracket on the lower portion of his inspiration was made by enrique at tech dive tools.. his immediate bailout bottle is there.. then obviously he is now going to search out whoever has his manin bailout.

O-ring once bubbled...

Go buy the AUE DVD! That should take care of your fix for a while!

What's the AUE DVD?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I read the book and I've always wondered whe he didn't just sidemount.

Being able to squeeze into anywhere is certainly sidemounting's claim to fame. So far it has mostly been an avant guard cave application. Never seen it used for shipwrecks. Yet.

O-ring once bubbled...

Doing exploration level dives with someone who has never been on the doria and then splitting into two teams (one solo on a CCR) for dive 1. The plan for dive 2 was one person stay outside the wreck solo on a breather and the other person to penetrate to the point of impact (a SERIOUS penetration) solo on OC. IMHO, this glorifies the type of diving that gets people killed and should not be considered typical of "technical" diving in any way shape or form.

Wow! I forgot to watch the show, but I guess I didn't miss anything important!

It was probably a bad idea to post the time and channel for this show since someone might actually think it's "cool" to run dives like that.

padiscubapro once bubbled...

actually john was carrying a single bailout, his argon bottle was on top of his case the bracket on the lower portion of his inspiration was made by enrique at tech dive tools.. his immediate bailout bottle is there.. then obviously he is now going to search out whoever has his manin bailout.

I could not see his bail out bottle, so I just assumed one of his film crew buddies was using the rule of halves in his/her deco bottles. There is more than one way to skin a cat, even underwater.

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

I could not see his bail out bottle, so I just assumed one of his film crew buddies was using the rule of halves in his/her deco bottles. There is more than one way to skin a cat, even underwater.

The inspiration bottles are inside the case.. the bottle on the bottom (mounted like a drager) is a bailout bottle.. plus you also have your 20cuft onboard diluent
see
http://www.techdivetools.com/rebreather/inspiration.html#bracket

- I liked the part where they updated the "artist's rendering"

- I didn't think that they really uncovered any new data

- I did enjoy seeing the little bit of the ship that they showed

- I'm always amazed that documentary shows always claim that the Doria was the worst naval disaster since the Titanic. Um, Empress of Ireland, Lusitania, Estonia - more people died on each of those ships than were on the Doria altogeher...

- It was nice of them to leave something at the wreck for that one family

- Didn't the Gimbel expedition divers walk right through the impact point??

- I'm still buggered about missing the Lake Mead B52...

- Maybe I ought to start taping these for ya' Gilligan :)

-Frank =-)

scubapunk-17055 once bubbled...
[B
- Didn't the Gimbel expedition divers walk right through the impact point??
[/B]

They dove it within a few days of the collision.

It has collapsed onto itself since then, lying on its starboard side where the collision occurred. So the hole is not accessible anymore. That was one of the most fascinating features of the show.

Shipwrecks 101: a wreck is a continuously decaying and changing environment.

Seriously, all kidding aside, this wreck now looks a mess, practically impenetrable, and absolutely unstable and unsafe.

They dove it within a few days of the collision.

I think scubapunk was referring to Gimble's 1981 exped on the sea leveler and the sat dives for the safe and the second goal being the questionable watertight door for the generator room.
Ted Hess and Gimble swam out of the hull from the tank room

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom